How many hours is ALOT

Im inyterested in buying my friends Yamaha gp100r. Its a 2000 and has only been used in rivers. Its got 120 hours on the ski and motor I presume because everything is stock. Is that too many hours for that ski because I dont want to buy one and have problems because its got alot of hours on it

I assume you mean a 1200R? That's not bad for a stock motor, many guys run them 300-500 hours stock. Take it for a ride and see how it runs. The 2000 had powervalve issues, you may want to pull the powervalve covers and be sure it hasn't dropped a valve.

+1
    No straight way to answer your question. There are skis with 250 hours that look great because they've been taken care of. And there are skis with 50 hours that look like hell because they've been abused.

Doing a compression check on all 3 cylinders is a real good idea as well.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    Doing a compression check on all 3 cylinders is a real good idea as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    No straight way to answer your question. There are skis with 250 hours that look great because they've been taken care of. And there are skis with 50 hours that look like hell because they've been abused.

I would say once a ski has over 1 million hours, you would probably want to find another ski.

as those guys said.. that's a pretty common question, and I have also asked that before I did work on my ski.

If the ski has been taken care of and there is no problems with it.. than that is just a number. Think about it like this. Say the gpr didn't have an hour gauge on it.. and say it really had like 500 hours and the person your buying it from didn't tell you because you didn't know to ask because well there isn't an hour gauge.. then it doesn't really matter you would have never known.. if it runs good and everything is fine than the hour gauge is nothing but a number..

Does that make any sense?

yes it does make sense thanks for the advice. This is more of a opinion question I guess, its a toss up between the 2000 gpr1200 and the 1999 GSXL from Seadoo. The gsxl runs extremely well and its fast. Is the yamaha a stable jetski when riding 2 people because I know some seadoos arent. Does any body know the radar from a 2000 grr1200?

Thanks guys

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffa17 View Post
    yes it does make sense thanks for the advice. This is more of a opinion question I guess, its a toss up between the 2000 gpr1200 and the 1999 GSXL from Seadoo. The gsxl runs extremely well and its fast. Is the yamaha a stable jetski when riding 2 people because I know some seadoos arent. Does any body know the radar from a 2000 grr1200?

Thanks guys

Yes, GPR is a very stable ski. You can have a full grown man stand on the back corner of the ski, and it won't tip over or really budge at all..

Anytime I have people on my ski, it rides great, I never have the thought of it tipping over, and I got my Gp1200r after riding a Waveblaster II which was so small that I myself at age 13 when I rode it would tip over instantly.. Like common I was about 130lb 5'8 or so..

Basic point GPR is a good solid stable ski.

Speed wise, it is a fast ski.. it isn't an accelerating hog like the rxp, but it redeems itself with it's hull. Best hull hands down out of any jet ski.

I think a gp1200r goes about 63-65mph I believe.. I sadly never gps'd mine, but I think to knock about 5mph off the Dream-O-Meter (gauge) and mine would read 71mph so I there took 6 mph off on my stock gpr...

It is a good ski, but you do need to do a few mods to it that I would say You would have to do.

They aren't really that costly compared to some parts that they make for the gpr, but if you look at it in the way of. I could either have this break, and fall off at 64mph and get seriously injured.. or just get this, and be fine....

I mean it's kind of up to you.

Things that need to be done:

Waveeater Coupler/clips (for the (power-valves)

Intake Grate Jerry sells a Stainless Steel one on his site (it's on pre-order and it will be by far the best grate) If you do not want to spend the money on that intake grate, and don't plan to really mod the ski out. A Riva intake grate or R&D intake grate would work (which one depends on what your conditions are) although I would strongly suggest Jerry's grate..

Tunnel Reinforcement: Something that you will have to do when you mod your ski, it is a "PITA" to do, but once you have done it.. you don't have to mess with it again (which is great, I did it on mine, I call it the pit of hell back where the tunnel is, and now that it is done. It's like mowing the lawn.. you mowed the lawn, now you don't worry or think about it.. except with this, you don't have to worry about something coming back like the grass growing. It is done!)

and unless I am forgetting something, I believe that is it.

This is by far the best site, and I quickly became addicted. I started coming here when I was 13 years old, currently building a build that you can see in the performance Yami section. I have to say the guys on this site are by far the coolest, and most willing to help people. I am now 14, and am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on my build, and really could not have done it without these guys/this site.

If you would like to talk on the phone about the gpr, please PM me your number, and I am more than willing to call you. I had my wisdom teeth taken out today so my mouth is a little sore, but I will try to help you out and stick through the call as much as I can.

a lot is two words! Sorry I am the spelling police..

Thread Information