Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

X Model - R&D Power Plenum filter kit -

Took advantage of the deal Jerry put out there a few days ago about the 50% off sale on the power filter if you purchased the grate.

Just recieved the filter kit and will install it later today as it looks pretty easy, but I noticed in step 3 of the instructions, it specifically states the intake of the X is four inch (4").

I knew they did some different things to the X models, but wanted to clarify this 4" intake because of all the relatively recent posts concerning 4" intake installs as mods....

I'll know more when I get into the machine late this afternoon for the install, but thought if my T-X already has a 4" intake, why are there so many posts about upgrading to a 4" and also the fact that everyone installing the RIVA 3" intake would be "DOWNSIZING" wouldn't they???

Anyway, filter is huge and looks like it will ingest a ton of air into the intake.

See attached file for the install specs.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jwade; 06-04-2008 at 03:05 PM.

+1
    It may be 4 inch at the path arround the motor but there are several areas the are closed down to way less the 3 inches. just my 02 cents after removing mine. Plus the hose that goes from sc to intake is the exact same hose that i have ever seen on the 4 techs, no difference.
    I will say that i had a big gain with 4 inch intake ending with 5 inch.
    Let us know how the filter performs.

+1
    will water be able to pass thru this filter?? we ocean ride a lot down here

Red face

Here are some install pictures. This is a very easy and quick mod.

As far a getting wet, the 4" intake is up front and sits over the gas tank.

If water is a serious concern, you could add a prefilter on it, but my hull was bone dry when I did the install, and that's after just washing the machine down.

After I was done, I did think about the possibility of installing a couple 2" vents from the store in either side by the plastic chrome pieces as this would provide some fresh air into the hull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00737.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	76143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00741.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	76144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00745.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	76145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00748.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	76146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00752.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	76147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00754.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	76148  

Quote Originally Posted by jwade View Post
    Here are some install pictures. This is a very easy and quick mod.

As far a getting wet, the 4" intake is up front and sits over the gas tank.

If water is a serious concern, you could add a prefilter on it, but my hull was bone dry when I did the install, and that's after just washing the machine down.

After I was done, I did think about the possibility of installing a couple 2" vents from the store in either side by the plastic chrome pieces as this would provide some fresh air into the hull.

jwade, you don't happen to have a spy satellite snooping overhead downunder do you? It just so happens that I have done the exact same mod/install as that (pictured). I did however use a K&N pod filter/flame arrestor which ironically, I had to get from the States. I have removed the baffles inside the airbox (what a job that was ) which I think are a massive restriction.

Cheers

Chris.

Pretty funny Chris. The filter is large, but lookslike a K&N painted blue.

The trick on this install, if you want to call it one, would be to make sure you find the right point to zip tie the throttle cable onto the wiring harness and keep it out of the way of the filter.

Later on, Jon

"I have removed the baffles inside the airbox (what a job that was ) which I think are a massive restriction."

Hmmm... I'm about to order the R&D grate/intake filter combo. Any results of the filter alone, or filter and baffles removed? Did you gain any RPM/MPH? Accel? Any pictures of the baffle removal? Do you have to split the airbox open, or does it just screw together?

I guess I should just wait until I get home and look huh? Looking for an idea of how much of a P.I.T.A. it is, and if it gives any real gains.

-=Mike G.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey G. View Post
    "I have removed the baffles inside the airbox (what a job that was ) which I think are a massive restriction."

Hmmm... I'm about to order the R&D grate/intake filter combo. Any results of the filter alone, or filter and baffles removed? Did you gain any RPM/MPH? Accel? Any pictures of the baffle removal? Do you have to split the airbox open, or does it just screw together?

I guess I should just wait until I get home and look huh? Looking for an idea of how much of a P.I.T.A. it is, and if it gives any real gains.

-=Mike G.
    I didn't deal with any baffle removal nor try to pry open the air box. Just installed the filter over the intake. When looking at the air box, you can tell that it will come apart, but there is alot of spaghetti you would have to deal with before you could pry the box open.

Maybe another night I will try that one, but I want to test the filter first as I'd bet R&D would have most likely developed another part of they thought it was that benificial to get into the air box itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey G. View Post

-=Mike G.
    Mike, I hav'nt installed the modded box just yet but when I do it will also have a 4 inch intake from th S/C to a 4 inch adaptor (custom fabricated) at the rear of the airbox. I have lots of pics and will post them up when I get time. By the way the airbox just splits open,...no screws.

Cheers

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris52 View Post
    Mike, I hav'nt installed the modded box just yet but when I do it will also have a 4 inch intake from th S/C to a 4 inch adaptor (custom fabricated) at the rear of the airbox. I have lots of pics and will post them up when I get time. By the way the airbox just splits open,...no screws.

Cheers

Chris.
    WOW.... Nice. The SC is at the rear of the engine/ski correct? If so, what material are you looking to use for the S/C to stock (modified) air/baffle box? Just stainless, or some molded stuff? Maybe some other creative option? Is there enough room to do what you're looking to do without relocating something else?

Don't want to spoil anything though, so keeping it quiet is OK with me... just PM me.

-=Mike G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information