95 SLT750 Hole in cylinder, suggestions?

Hey yall,

I took my SLT750 out to the lake this weekend, and my brother was riding it WOT and died. Started up just fine, ran fine for about 10 min, and at WOT it died again and would not come back to full life. Pulled the ski and took out PTO spark plug, and sure enough, nice big hole in the piston.

After searching around on here, I have found mixed reviews on what parts I should be looking at. Here is a list of things that I want to do, and I do need suggestions of distributors and parts that I will need:

1) New pistons, of course, but what brand? I cannot find the Wiseco equivalent anywhere, but if you know where to find them, just let me know. Any other suggestions on manufacturers is needed, because I do want a quality product. Most have said that SBT is not the way to go, but I found a guy on EBay that is selling the top end kit for $249. Now, whats wrong with SBT? Is it the quality of product, or is it the service received by them that everyone seems to not like doing business thru them??

2) What to do with the sleeves? By looking at them, and feeling the inside, they seem to be fine. But, do I really need to Hone the cylinders? Will honing cause the need of an oversized piston? Judging by the fact that this ski has over 100 hours on it, Im assuming normal wear and tear has caused the cylinders to gain some diameter anyways...so, shoud I take these to a machine shop and bore 1mm over?

3) Replace fuel pump with 3-outlet mikuni, but where can I buy this?

4) Oil-blockoff kit, run premix...where is a good place to get this, because, again, reviews of SBT have said to basically ignore the fact that SBT carries them. HotSeatPerformance carries it, but their website is really jacked up and has been for quite some time. Do they still provide Polaris parts? And, any other places that I should look at?

Again, I want quality parts. I am on a budget, but doing this the right way will pay off in the end, and total cost is not necessarily an issue. I mainly need to know the best places to look, the best manufacturers with a quality product, and what piston size I should go with assuming that I do not have to bore the cylinders. Hopefully this post will create a consensus of where to send most of our business to. I can upload some pictures of the heads, pistons and cylinder walls if needed.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Bnasty

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bnasty View Post
    Hey yall,

I took my SLT750 out to the lake this weekend, and my brother was riding it WOT and died. Started up just fine, ran fine for about 10 min, and at WOT it died again and would not come back to full life. Pulled the ski and took out PTO spark plug, and sure enough, nice big hole in the piston.

After searching around on here, I have found mixed reviews on what parts I should be looking at. Here is a list of things that I want to do, and I do need suggestions of distributors and parts that I will need:

1) New pistons, of course, but what brand? I cannot find the Wiseco equivalent anywhere, but if you know where to find them, just let me know. Any other suggestions on manufacturers is needed, because I do want a quality product. Most have said that SBT is not the way to go, but I found a guy on EBay that is selling the top end kit for $249. Now, whats wrong with SBT? Is it the quality of product, or is it the service received by them that everyone seems to not like doing business thru them?? I've used WSM and can't complain after 25hrs of ride time on them

2) What to do with the sleeves? By looking at them, and feeling the inside, they seem to be fine. But, do I really need to Hone the cylinders? Will honing cause the need of an oversized piston? Judging by the fact that this ski has over 100 hours on it, Im assuming normal wear and tear has caused the cylinders to gain some diameter anyways...so, shoud I take these to a machine shop and bore 1mm over? First step is to have a machinist measure them and advise you from there.

3) Replace fuel pump with 3-outlet mikuni, but where can I buy this? Plenty of venders carry them for $25.00-$30.00. Look in the "sticky" section for vendors who contribute both time and knowledge to this site.

4) Oil-blockoff kit, run premix...where is a good place to get this, because, again, reviews of SBT have said to basically ignore the fact that SBT carries them. HotSeatPerformance carries it, but their website is really jacked up and has been for quite some time. Do they still provide Polaris parts? And, any other places that I should look at?

Again, I want quality parts. I am on a budget, but doing this the right way will pay off in the end, and total cost is not necessarily an issue. I mainly need to know the best places to look, the best manufacturers with a quality product, and what piston size I should go with assuming that I do not have to bore the cylinders. Standard Hopefully this post will create a consensus of where to send most of our business to. I can upload some pictures of the heads, pistons and cylinder walls if needed.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Bnasty

Thanks, and the oil-blockoff? Look for stickys again im guessing. Also, on a sidenote, Im planning on replacing the reeds as well, and again Ive heard mixed reviews on the brand to go with. Suggestions?

+1
    Stickies are Threads that stay at the top of the forum. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12103 is the vendor's thread. Not all inclusive but a place to start.

Any oil block-off will work...I just removed the drive gear from mine and reinstalled it.

Which reeds to use? Well that's kinda like asking what's your favorite beer....you'll get plenty of answers. I run the Boysen Pro series in my 780. I like them but I doubt I'd know the difference if I swapped them out for some Carbon Tech's.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Bnasty.

First you need to find the cause of the burnt piston. Holes in them mean "lean" or fuel starvation. Fuel restriction is usally the cause, or an air leak.

Contact John Zigler for the fuel pump, and see if he has a block off plate.

Replace your fuel hoses (inside the tank too if you have them) and thoroughly clean/inspect the carb internals and the fuel shut off valve.

Get the WSM brand, they're good replacements for a good price. If the cyls aren't scarred up, you can prob go with the next size up. But any scratches and I'd let the machinist decide which to get.

Cylinders. Scarred? How scarred is scarred? I can see where 'lines' run up and down, but when I run my finger over these 'scars', I feel nothing but smooth cylinder wall....

Okay, I spoke to a friend and he said to go ahead and do it without a honing. I decided to get a fine hone and do it myself. Also purchased a digital caliper accurate to .001mm and measured all cyl, and all fall within OEM spec. Went ahead and ordered all parts needed from AJS. Cost so far is $475, but that is including new reeds, blockoff and fuel filters/line for my hurricane! So, I think im doing pretty darn well!
    Thanks again for the advice all!

Help!!!

Hi all, another newbie here!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the great information. It is extemely helpful.

I have had the identical problem with my '95 750. The first time I rebuilt the PTO cylinder I also had the carbs rebuilt by a reputable local shop. Much to my dissappointment, she blew again. It blew even with 40:1 premix AND the oil injectors functioning normally.

I was at a loss as to what to do and thought about selling the boat.

But after reading your input, I am having second thoughts about getting rid of it. Me and the family really love it!

I am going to replace ALL the fuel lines and filter tomorrow.

The fuel pump is the original. Do you all recommend replacing it? If so, what should I buy and where? (I am in MI)

Is there anything else I should be doing to make sure I don't have this problem again?

Thanks for all your help!

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the forum. Please reread this whole thread.most of the ansers are there,to give you a head start on the repair. It also would be good to start your own thread so yours doesn't get confused with this one.

+1
    It blew even with 40:1 premix AND the oil injectors functioning normally.

If you had a lean condition and you added 40:1 to your gas, unfortuantely, you made the problem worse, by taking away the thing your engine desperately needed FUEL and adding more oil (combustable yes, fuel no)

Thread Information