Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 15F Synthetic

+1

15F Synthetic

I have 30 hrs on my 08 15F and want to swich to synthetic oil. I only ride in salt water, so my biggest concern is CORROSION. I've heard that synthetics like Mobile 1 offer little or no corrosion protection. Is this true? I also heard that Amsoil is great, but you have to change it often... like every 10 hrs...?

I pull multiple skiers often, and run the engine VERY hard sometimes...

So which synthetic is the best for this ski? Thanks!

+1
    amsoil marine 10-40 great stuff!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RonJon View Post
    I have 30 hrs on my 08 15F and want to swich to synthetic oil. I only ride in salt water, so my biggest concern is CORROSION. I've heard that synthetics like Mobile 1 offer little or no corrosion protection. Is this true? I also heard that Amsoil is great, but you have to change it often... like every 10 hrs...?

I pull multiple skiers often, and run the engine VERY hard sometimes...

So which synthetic is the best for this ski? Thanks!

If your biggest concern is corrosion use a Synthetic NMMA FC-W spec oil like the AMSOIL 10w-40 Marine Oil. The marine oil is specially formulated to reduce corrosion. You do not have to change the oil any more often than a petroleum oil. If you are pulling skiers I would for sure spend the extra couple of dollars and purchase a synthetic oil. Here is some more on the oil. http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...storefront/wcf

I switched to amsoil after my first oil change at about 50hrs. put another much harder 16 on them since then (pulling skiers) and the oil still looks new.

+1
    I ran Mobil1 in my STX-15F no issues ever, but bought an RXP-X and switched to Amsoil WCF 10W40. It looks to be the best oil for the way I run my ski. I think Mobil1 10W40 for motorcycles is a great oil. You can buy it at Wal-Mart around here, too.

JP

I use Motul Power Jet 4T. It's a synthetic formulated for 4-stroke marine use. Haven't had any problems. Oil preference is very subjective so be careful with the replies...

+1
    I Chose Mobile 1 Racing 4T for my 15F. Can buy it locally, and its made for motorcycle engines (which the 15F is derived from). I liked how it did in the testing in this article, especially the corrosion resistance:

http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/MC...aper-g2156.pdf

+1
    i had thought about running amsoil in my 15f. i then reconsidered when i found out my buddy had been running it in his 2005 toyota tacoma and the bottom end of his engine gave way at 87000 miles. he had to pay almost 6 grand to have another engine installed that wasnt even new.
    he has a file claimed against amsoil but it doesnt look good cause the shop that changed the motor out didnt get a oil sample. he was told the oil was the reason for the engine failure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 03stx12f View Post
    i had thought about running amsoil in my 15f. i then reconsidered when i found out my buddy had been running it in his 2005 toyota tacoma and the bottom end of his engine gave way at 87000 miles. he had to pay almost 6 grand to have another engine installed that wasnt even new.
    he has a file claimed against amsoil but it doesnt look good cause the shop that changed the motor out didnt get a oil sample. he was told the oil was the reason for the engine failure.

So the shop said that the oil was due to the failure, but they did not get a sample to send to the lab and make sure it was due to a lubrication related failure? How does the shop know for sure it was due to the oil if they did not send it to the lab? The only way to know for sure it was a lubrication related failure is to send the oil to the lab period. If it was due to the AMSOIL Synthetic oil and there were no other issues like a very high fuel dilution or water contamination that took out the engine like the bearings. AMSOIL would have taken care of it.

This is not that hard to do.

5.In the event of a claim against AMSOIL INC., the procedure below must be completely followed.a.Where the original warranty from the equipment manufacturer is still in effect, the customer shall file a warranty claim with the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) in accordance with the OEM warranty procedure.b.Customer shall retain failed parts for inspection by AMSOIL INC. unless given to the OEM.c.Customer shall also, within 30 days of failure, notify AMSOIL INC. and provide the following: (a.)An eight ( ounce representative oil sample taken from the failed equipment and put into a clean, dry container.(b.)Documentation including make, model, and year of equipment, total accumulated miles and/or hours, and duty cycle or service environment.(c.)Equipment or vehicle maintenance history documentation including miles or hours at the time of AMSOIL lubricant installation, general equipment repairs, and oil analysis results if available.(d.)Proof of purchase for AMSOIL lubricant.(e.)Batch number from oil container or Certificate of Analysis (if available).d.Mail the above sample and information to:
    AMSOIL INC., Attn: Technical Services
    AMSOIL Center
    1101 Susquehanna Ave.
    Superior, WI 54880

Here is the warranty information.
    http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx

All of you are correct except the one about oil causing failure. Abuse, lack of maintenance, low oil, or incorrect application maybe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information