Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Urgent! Bolts holding magneto onto crank backed out. No locktite on bolts.

I have a major problem. I was riding the other day and the ski just quit. Eventually had to pull the engin at my local sea doo dealer. To my shock...the bolts that hold the magneto onto the drive shaft...had broke in two leaving the sheered off bolts in the threads of the grear connected to crankshaft. We ( the mechanic and I) noticed that the pieces of bolts still left in the gear could be backed out with our finger. There was no DAMN loctite on the bolts. Not even loctite residue. In other words..the factory had installed these bolts without loctite. The diagram/manuel shows bolts needing loctite. Apparently....due to engin vibration....the bolts worked out evnetually and sheered off totally destroying my engin. The magneto is gone..the stator is gone...gears are gone...and there are pieces of metal shaving in the oil filter which I would assume also got into the engin. My ski is out of warrenty. I have 140 hours on this motor. Here is where I need help from the forum. In my opinion..this is not a warrenty issue but gross negligence. The bolts were simply not instaled at the factory with loctite. Do I have a case with Sea Doo? If I dont...im out 10000 dollars. My mechanic ( a damn good one) says that this motor has to be almost totally replaced. Im going to take Sea Doo to court over this one if I have to. Does anybody know of any problem like this that has happened to others and what the result of the responce from Sea Doo was? Please somebody help..I need to know which way to pursue this. Thanks!

First what year is your ski? I'm gonna take a guess and say 04-05...

If so the flywheel/magneto bolts are a more common problem then you would think. Check out these two links for additional info.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=magneto+bolts

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=magneto+bolts

As for the locktite being non-existent? I'm not sure if you would necessarily be able to tell if it was on there or not because factory bolts come with locktite re-applied..

To Kp04RXP...about my magneto bolts sheering off

Thanks for the responce. I cant belive I didnt say which year my ski was. I have an 2005 RXT. I went to two differnt local shops. Both lead mechanics stated that there was absolutely NO loctite on bolts. Just think about it sir. If the bolts had ANY loctite on them..which the Sea Doo diagram calls for...how was I able to back the broken off pieces of bolts with my finger that was left in the gear attached to the drive shaft? To me its a no brainer. If there were any loctite at all....there is no way those bolts would turn just with a light touch of your finger. Maby I wrong..but to me its an open and shut case. Thanks for the links sir. Lance

04 flywheel bolts

Here is exactly what my bolts look like out of my 04 rxp with 109 hours on it. See if yours look like these... Basically what happens with these bolts is that they back out which is why new "stretch" bolts are used in place of them. Locktite or not they still back out on people..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6040612.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	76038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6040614.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	76039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6040616.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	76040  

Same thing happened to me when my ski had like 30 hrs or so. Not sure if they had loctite or not but it created a mess. Ended up taking it to the dealer who fixed it and change my supercharger washers for metl ones and the morons forgot to put loctite on the S/C nut and another big mess occured breaking my time chain and bending valves.That was the end for me with dealers and mechs. Thanks to this forum and the awesome people in it i do most of my own work. Why have you been told that your engine is trashed?

Welcome to the club, it isn't the lack of loctite it is the low quality bolts they used. Check out the how to section, I have several posts in the flywheel bolt thread. I ended up buying a used engine because the cost of replacement parts was half the price of a new ski!

TO LURKER...about the flywheel bolts that sheered off in my ski.

Dude....I must have laughed 30 sec. after I looked at that hippo..HAHA. That was really funny. Thanks for cheering me up because I seriously am in a state of dpression. I was reading a link and a somebody stated how important it was to do your own work. Im not a mechanic..but now I see the relevance of that statement. Im learning fast. Get this. Last season...the first ride of the second...My engin blows with 111 hours. Now...I have done everything to be careful about maintainence. I told the mechanic that I took my ski to now for the sheered off bolts and the first thing he asked me was....was it winterized. I did have it winterized before this engin blew at the dealership I bought it from. Then he told me that that the ship didnt winterize it properly which resulted in rust on the engin and when I took it out for the first ride of the second..it blew! Can you see how pissed off I am? Now only did the former shop ( the shop I bought the ski from) most probably screw up on the winterization and not fog the engin properly..but now..Sea Doo used faulty bolts...didnt put loctite on the bolts in the first place ( otherwise..how would I be able to back out the sheered pieces out of the thread with my finger) but they didnt inform their customers that the 2005 and under skis had faulty flywheel blots on them. To me...this is not just a simple warrenty issue but a major negligence issue on their part. Anyway man..thanks for the hippo humor...got my mind off this tragedy....

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas Seeker View Post
    Dude....I must have laughed 30 sec. after I looked at that hippo..HAHA. That was really funny. Thanks for cheering me up because I seriously am in a state of dpression. I was reading a link and a somebody stated how important it was to do your own work. Im not a mechanic..but now I see the relevance of that statement. Im learning fast. Get this. Last season...the first ride of the second...My engin blows with 111 hours. Now...I have done everything to be careful about maintainence. I told the mechanic that I took my ski to now for the sheered off bolts and the first thing he asked me was....was it winterized. I did have it winterized before this engin blew at the dealership I bought it from. Then he told me that that the ship didnt winterize it properly which resulted in rust on the engin and when I took it out for the first ride of the second..it blew! Can you see how pissed off I am? Now only did the former shop ( the shop I bought the ski from) most probably screw up on the winterization and not fog the engin properly..but now..Sea Doo used faulty bolts...didnt put loctite on the bolts in the first place ( otherwise..how would I be able to back out the sheered pieces out of the thread with my finger) but they didnt inform their customers that the 2005 and under skis had faulty flywheel blots on them. To me...this is not just a simple warrenty issue but a major negligence issue on their part. Anyway man..thanks for the hippo humor...got my mind off this tragedy....
    Lubing those bolts is not part of the winterizing process. Neither is the 10 hour service. BRP just used the wrong bolts... Ron

URGENT! - Flywheel Bolts

We have two 2005 RXP's. One is currently in the shop with this same catastrophic failure. Has anyone had any success with BRP replacing the engines? With this many problems, they should be held accountable for:

1. using inferior bolts
    2. failing to contact the consumers and replace the defective bolts

They didn't call back all the SCs that failed did they?... Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information