Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Common issues with Speedster 200 models

High all,
    I am looking to pick up a nice clean used Speedster 200 (I am thinking 2005+) for the family to cruise in. (I want the 430 model but if a 310 or 370 hp model fell in to my lap for a ridiculous price I may consider it as well) I am going to look at a few over the next couple of weeks. Is there any other strange quirks or issues I should be watchful of when checking out one of these (other than the supercharger washers)? Also what is the difference between the 185 hp and 210hp supercharged engine? I have seen that the 185 hp engines were offered for a few years. Just to levelset everyone I have modded cars and 2-stroke ski's for years, and have owned several outboard boats over the years.

Great Boat

I Have Had My 07 Speedster 200 Since September....great Boat....the Difference Between The 185 And The 215 Is....the 215 Has An Intercooler..where As The 185 Does Not....

common issues

fuel gauge is quirky; tachs can occasionally "stick" requiring re-start to unstick; stock speedo not usually very accurate; intake weed guards do not function properly (raise/lower); variation in WOT rpms between engines ( a pump loading/impeller pitch issue); decrease in boost/rpms/hp as supercharger washers break in and torque decreases; "porpoising" or hull-hopping (bouncing) at max or near-max speeds depending upon weight load distribution & other variable conditions; loss in performance as engine oil levels exceed 50% as measured by the dip-stick.

racnanemesis.....Any updates on the speeds with your mods?

OOPS

Forgot About Those Issues Too....

Quote Originally Posted by cyoungesq View Post
    fuel gauge is quirky; tachs can occasionally "stick" requiring re-start to unstick; stock speedo not usually very accurate; intake weed guards do not function properly (raise/lower); variation in WOT rpms between engines ( a pump loading/impeller pitch issue); decrease in boost/rpms/hp as supercharger washers break in and torque decreases; "porpoising" or hull-hopping (bouncing) at max or near-max speeds depending upon weight load distribution & other variable conditions; loss in performance as engine oil levels exceed 50% as measured by the dip-stick.
    Fuel gauge accuracy, check. I haven't run across too many boats or cars for that matter that weren't finicky to some degree.

I could see where the charger clutch wear being an issue. I would hope that this is less of an issue on a boat where the throttle remains more steady state vs. a ski where you are constantly on/off throttle and working the clutch a lot harder (when snapping the throttle closed and pressure in the intake tract backs up).

Can you bring the trim down to compensate for the porpoising? How about just slowing down a tick? I don't see me having 6 people on this boat ever (Just me, my wife, and 3 yr old daughter for now). I had a pump wedge on my 96 XP and took it back off because I couldn't get far enough forward with the stock handlebars to get the weight offset properly.

I am a little perplexed by the "performance suffers when oil is more than 50% full as measured" comment. I read somewhere else that there was a specific song and dance to go through when checking the oil level in an RXP. Is this why? Are you saying basically the dipstick markings are incorrect? These motors are dry sump lubricated right? If they are they should have a seperate oil reservoir other than the crankcase and windage shouldn't be an issue. Maybe my idea of a dry sump and Rotax's is different though.

racnanemesis,
    You can actually turn those 15/20s with the mods listed? You cant be anywhere near 8100 rpms?

YEP

8100 - 8150 On Left Motor......right Motor @ 7950 +/-...working To Fix That Problem Now

And That Is With 81mm Nozzles

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFover View Post
    Fuel gauge accuracy, check. I haven't run across too many boats or cars for that matter that weren't finicky to some degree.

I could see where the charger clutch wear being an issue. I would hope that this is less of an issue on a boat where the throttle remains more steady state vs. a ski where you are constantly on/off throttle and working the clutch a lot harder (when snapping the throttle closed and pressure in the intake tract backs up).

Can you bring the trim down to compensate for the porpoising? How about just slowing down a tick? I don't see me having 6 people on this boat ever (Just me, my wife, and 3 yr old daughter for now). I had a pump wedge on my 96 XP and took it back off because I couldn't get far enough forward with the stock handlebars to get the weight offset properly.
    I have a 200 Speedster wake 430hp and it has the 600 lb (272 kg) cockpit-controlled ballast tank. You just hit it and it fill a tank with water adding the lbs. So if its just you and the wife and kid this could help.

It does hop out of the water at high speeds, if the water isnt totaly flat. But then again there isnt many boats at this size that dont do that.

The supercharger washer from my understanding have been changed in the 2008 models.

It is a very fun great size boat to just go out and mess around on!

some other issues

bolts holding
    1. weed grates
    2. steering rod connecting nozzles
    3. rod connecting reverse buckets
    3. steering cable to nozzle

all came loose or got lost on my boat.
    you have to make sure to retighten them + put locktite.

another big issue boat wont steer effectively with enough load on low speeds . I wonder if skegs added to rideplates will fix that and straight line performance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information