Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Age of children on PWC

For those that have children, at what age or how young have you had one as a passenger on your PWC?

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    i used to go out and ride with my uncle on a waveblaster II when I think I was 5 or younger.. I would sit in front of him, and hold onto the handlebars..

later that day we switched spots, and he sat behind me while I drove in a cove

+1
    My daughter has ridden with me since she was about 4 or 5. I put her in front of me so she could see and help steer of course. There may have been a few times when she was younger that I just went in circles close to shore. Most important is to get a good life jacket that fits a small child well.

Also she has had her own 4 wheelers, go-carts and dirt bikes from 8 up. At 14 she passed the FL boating test so she got her own GPR.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    My daughter has ridden with me since she was about 4 or 5. I put her in front of me so she could see and help steer of course. There may have been a few times when she was younger that I just went in circles close to shore. Most important is to get a good life jacket that fits a small child well.

Also she has had her own 4 wheelers, go-carts and dirt bikes from 8 up. At 14 she passed the FL boating test so she got her own GPR.
    Ditto, down to the letter.
    All of my children started riding at that same age. I let them steer and would talk to them the entire time teaching them the dos and don't of being on the water. They were even riding stand ups by their self when they were 8-10.
    My daughter got a 94 on the exam and I did not help at all. My son takes his in 6 months.
    It is a lot like guns. Teach them well and teach them early and you will never have to worry about them hurting themselves or others.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    yeah..

i started like i said when i was like 5...

got my own gpr, and rebuilt the engine.. (with the help of everyone on here)

i ride by my self and i am 12

+1
    I have 3 girls 16/9/4

the oldest has her PWC watercraft safety permit and has been riding since she was 10. My middle one rides with a driver and has been on a ski since she could walk. my little one has been on a ski since she could walk also.

If I Ride long enough, my little one will actually fall asleep in my arms while riding on my GPR due to the "drone" of the free-flow exhaust

My son started with me on a kawasaki 750 when he was 5 ...we recently sold that ski to upgrade him to an xp......he's 17 now.

thanks everyone, I have a 3yr old so I was wondering about bringing him along to sit in front of me. I know he would enjoy it.

When I took up sport, daughter was 11 and she took right to it. She quickly wearied of riding solely as passenger. She wanted to steer and work throttle!

I'm often nervous myself riding as passenger. But I'm now very comfortable when daughter is driving (she is now 14).

From the start, I invested in high tech gear, wetsuits, gloves, boots etc. She was raised in the snow so with the right gear she does not get cold even in the rain. I learned quick that warding off cold (in PNW weather) is critical. Also, when she says slow down, best do so. I used to get away with gradually upping throttle but now she can read GPS and has an eagle eye for any unusal wave set.

Ive noticed a huge variation in kids' ability to handle cold & fear of ocean. Some see a jellyfish and just freak out. For others, the bigger and more orange the jellyfish the better. Most everyone likes the seals though that pop up all over the place.

I really enjoy taking daughter out on ocean although its somewhat infrequent. Its such a great adventure. From the time we put on trailer until the time we come home and rinse the ski. Dont know how many more years she'll want to do it (although time may be extended if I get her own ski!) so I try and make the most of every single moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information