Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95' SL750 multifunction display problems

I just aquired a 95' SL750, third one ive purchased, and i am haveing problems with the multifunctional LCD.. The guy i purchased it off of says that this is the second one on the ski and that it keeps taking on water ... the thinks .. Are these not sealed well? So i have taken it out and checked for residual water and damage... but none that i can see ... display comes on and looks as though it still has water in it ... btw the ski runs fine but with out temp, oil, gas, gages i fear for the worst to happen. Anyone have any ideas on what could fix it or should i get a new/used one ... And if so anyone have one they want to part with?

Thanx
    Attached Images Attached Images

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Looks to me like the LCD contacts inside the MFD need cleaning. This is a common failure mode for these MFD. If you can get the other failed MFD from the seller, you can probably fix it too!

Nothing to do with water getting inside, just the passage of time causing minor corrosion of the LCD contacts.

There are several good threads on here regarding how to open up the MFD casing, and clean the contacts. Search for the threads - step by step info and photos.

The consensus is to use a Dremel tool cutting wheel to carefully cut the casing open behind the front lip, not at the clear plastic face edge. Open it up, detach the LCD from the circuit board, clean the contacts, then reassemble.

Test it before you seal it up. Once you have it working, carefully seal all the way around the cut edges.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Ebay has had a few lately for very fair pricing.

I had the same ski back in 95 and went through 2 of them while the ski was under warranty. The dealer replaced them both and I then had a ski with "0" hrs all over again. The third MFD went out about a year later and looked just like yours. I would be surprised if there is a 13-14 year old SL ski out their with the original working display. To buy a used salvaged display may work for a short time but they were notorious for failure. Try the fix mentioned in the previous post. Nothing to lose really. Good luck!

I had the exact same prob but mine only went wonky only when running.. I had errors (Engine errors) going and never knew about it...

heres a small tip if you do open it yourself, my display didn't have corrosion in it. the rubber terminal bar that contacts the screen to the board shrunk on mine.. before reassembling I used a Peice of clear plastic cut to the LCD's dimension cut the center out to the MFD's cover dimension so you will have just the outer edges ( the peice of plastic was about 2-3 sheets of paper thick) insert the spacer between the actual LCD and the clear casing when ressembling try using an epoxy that will bite into the palstic once thats done get a tube of marine silicone and paste it on top of the cut seam after the epoxy dries ( the silicone will add more protection against leaks)

If you would like a couple of Packages of Ozone/Moisture remover to seal in the MFD just PM me your name/address I will ship you out a couple free of charge I get them from where I work we get them in HUGE box's (This goes to anyone who needs a few)

heres my display after I had to do the same thing with the spacer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0160.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	76299  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    ...heres a small tip if you do open it yourself, my display didn't have corrosion in it. the rubber terminal bar that contacts the screen to the board shrunk on mine..
    before reassembling I used a piece of clear plastic cut to the LCD's dimension cut the center out to the MFD's cover dimension so you will have just the outer edges ( the piece of plastic was about 2-3 sheets of paper thick) insert the spacer between the actual LCD and the clear casing
    ...when reassembling try using an epoxy that will bite into the plastic once thats done get a tube of marine silicone and paste it on top of the cut seam after the epoxy dries ( the silicone will add more protection against leaks)...
    Interesting improvement.

So you created a thin clear spacer ring that sits in front of the LCD perimeter, but behind the face plate, and moves the LCD back, and tighter, against the rubber strip and the circuit board contacts.

Seems like a good idea!

If one used a UV stable, clear plastic, then it could be solid, rather than trimmed to just ring the LCD perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Interesting improvement.

So you created a thin clear spacer ring that sits in front of the LCD perimeter, but behind the face plate, and moves the LCD back, and tighter, against the rubber strip and the circuit board contacts.

Seems like a good idea!

If one used a UV stable, clear plastic, then it could be solid, rather than trimmed to just ring the LCD perimeter.
    Pretty much yeah that was another thing I did to mine.. when we opened it usually a LCD contact strip sticks to both surfaces, mine on the other hand was loose so when it sat with no movement/vibrations it would be fine as soon as the ski was moved or started the screen went buggered..

yup if you can find a flexible strip of UV resistant plastic you can make it whole. I cut mine as a border just in case it wasn't .. if all else fails pretty much ANY plastic/non metal thin sheet can be used as a border spacer.. but remember not to make it to thick to MUCH border pressure will warp/crack a lcd panel..

Souther_6 if you want I could repair it for you if you like..
    O.o hrmm looking at pic #4 I find something interesting your Fuel Filter is on the line AFTER the selector and I have 2 installed on both Normal and reserve lines... thats an interesting setup I may integrate that into my 95 SL750 Ski ... have 3, 1 each for the feeds from the tank and one between the seperator/selector.....
    Last edited by Feral; 06-06-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Yeah it works!!!

Well today i ripped it out and re swabbed all the connections also scrapped the dullness of them i resealed and to my supprise it worked perfect... thats to one of yalls threads on the MFD Heart operation... Thanx guys

Trim motor

Another issue that is leaving me scratching my head is my trim ... i traced the wires to the box and tested them between the two and all seems well. I havent tried a direct connect because im not familiar with the working of this motor. Is this motor connected to the MFD... could that have stoped it from moving?

+1
    The trim only works with the engine running. It is connected to the trim switch that reverses polarity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information