HELP Polaris Hurricane starter replacement

I have a 1995 Polaris Hurricane and I need to replace the starter due to no "turn over" when trying to start it. First must the engine be removed???? Or can i do this myself? easy?

+1
    engine does not need to be removed. search for the manual on teh board and it will show you waht you need to take out.

Before you do that, be more specific as to what is happening. Starters dont fail as often as people think. Could be a battery or ground issue?

What have you already done?

Nope, engine does not need to be removed. You can do this, but I will warn you, its tedious! You have to pull flywheel, stator, and then you have access to the starter. The flywheel is the worst part, but just take your time. Use a steering wheel puller to pull flywheel because you dont have much room to work with the gas tank in the way. This would also be a good time to replace the stator with the update if you havent done so yet. On my hurricane, I had to learn the hard way by losing all spark in the middle of Lake Texoma, and realized that the stator had never been serviced! But you know, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger, or something like that...

+1
    Just incase you haven't already checked these things.

Does the starter spin?
    -If the starter spins, but not the engine, it's probably a bad bendix.

Have you made sure the engine turns over?
    -Too many times ive seen a seized engine, or seized pump, and therefore the starter can't turn the engine.

Also, as stated above, it would be a good time to do the electrical system update!!! If it hasn't been done, I would definitly do so.
    Jay has the update kits for almost $300

If you pull the fuel tank in the hurricane, you will have PLENTY of room for doing any of these.....it will make it much smoother of a job in the end.

Check your pm.

Absolutely, I second the pulling of the fuel tank. If I did it again, I would pull it, that would have made it so much easier! On a complete sidenote for all you hurricane guys, my bilge pump has never worked, cracked open the elec box and the fuse is blown. Sounds like an easy fix right? NO! The fuse is a Buss AGW 3A, and I have been all over Dallas trying to find a replacement, and none is to be found. I even called a fuse warehouse just a few miles from my house, keep in mind all they sell is fuses, and they didnt even carry it! Im at my wits end with this fuse, and if you guys happen to know where i could order one, please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by bnasty View Post
    Absolutely, I second the pulling of the fuel tank. If I did it again, I would pull it, that would have made it so much easier! On a complete sidenote for all you hurricane guys, my bilge pump has never worked, cracked open the elec box and the fuse is blown. Sounds like an easy fix right? NO! The fuse is a Buss AGW 3A, and I have been all over Dallas trying to find a replacement, and none is to be found. I even called a fuse warehouse just a few miles from my house, keep in mind all they sell is fuses, and they didnt even carry it! Im at my wits end with this fuse, and if you guys happen to know where i could order one, please let me know!
    http://proserveelectric.com/moreinfo...48955&CFTOKEN=

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...The fuse is a Buss AGW 3A, and I have been all over Dallas trying to find a replacement, and none is to be found...
    3 Amp glass fuse = Radio Shack

Almost any 3 Amp glass fuse will do, don't worry about the AGW designation, nor the Buss brand.

Buss makes good quality fuses, but there are lots of others that will work too.

The AGW is a fast acting fuse type, but any 3 Amp normal fuse, or even a slow blow 3 Amp fuse would be fine. If you get a short circuit, they will all blow within a fraction of a second, protecting your wiring from a meltdown.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    radio shack has them

No need to pull the tank there is plenty of room if you are used to working on SL's or SLX's

Thread Information