2003 1300GPR HULL ISSUES

Here is what has been happening to my ski the past year. I am waiting for a response back from yamaha. They are working with me but we will see what happens. I am staying positive that they will do the right thing..

Here is the issue that I am dealing with. This is on a 2003 1300GPR. I had a crack in the hull on 9/11/04. The hull was fixed and I picked the ski up in December of 2004. I took the ski out on 12/13/04. The ski ran well for about 0.2 hours and then the engine threw a rod. Again the hull had water in it and that is probably why the engine failed. I was stranded for 2 hours in the winter until I could get someone to help. The hull and the engine were repaired and I picked the ski up on 4/23/05. I broke the engine in as per dealer. I did notice a little water in the hull but attributed it to the ski not being covered and left in the dealers outside area. On 5/29/05, I started taking on water again and was just able to make it back to the boat ramp without damaging the engine. Further investigation found that the hull that was just fixed less then 2 hours on the craft had cracked again in the same exact spot. The ski was back at the dealers on 5/31/05. The ski was repaired again and I picked it up on 6/17/05. The ski was ridden for about another 2 hours and then the hull let loose again. This time I was in an area that was not close to shore and that had the potential to be life threatening. I was able to save my life and the ski. The hull repaired did not hold for the 4th time. The hull took on lots of salt water and then engine did get damaged.

This ski is no longer sea worthy by any means and has put me in harms way more then once. The financial hardship and the quality of my life have been altered. The summers are very short in New Jersey and I have not been able to get what I paid for. I have seen my summer shorted last year and this year. This is unacceptable for any product. I no longer have faith that this ski will hold up for even 5 minutes. The ski is putting others and myself in jeopardy of being hurt or killed. I will not and cannot in clear conscious put this ski back on the water.

I respectfully request that I get a full refund for what I paid for the ski, or replace it with another new ski. I am prepared to take any means necessary to assure that I am treated fairly. I will contact many of the agency’s that deal in these issues and use all means of the Internet through uses groups to get out this issue.

Any feedback?? THanks
    Peter

Hi there!

Sorry to hear about your problems. That ski is a REAL lemon!! If you've been dealing with the same dealer and he's Yamaha certifed he should be able to just give you a new ski. Best of luck on your ordeal and let us know how it turns out.

Their is a lemon law if it has to be fixed soo many times for the same problem yamaha will have to destroy that ski and replace it for you. I know this law is for autos but I would think it applies to skis also.

+1
    Yammi hulls are made of SMC (Sheet Molded Compound) This shit is practically impossible to repair once cracked or damaged. It is no wonder none of the repairs on your hull lasted. Since Yamaha is the only ski manufacturer left that insists on saving a few bucks by using SMC, they should definitely spring for a new hull for your ski. This material is also heavier than comparable thickness hulls made of fiber-reinforced plastic (fiber glass) and no where near as strong. Yammi has been molding hulls thinner than necessary to save weight and money, and has experienced many failures. People are always picking on Sea-doo, but in my opinion Yamaha makes the most problem prone, ill designed boat on the market. Take the GPR series....Powervalve problems causing engines to be destroyed, ride plates 'falling off', hulls cracking, tiny storage volume on a whale sized boat etc. Well at least they got rid of the power valves in 2005 ! The new 4-strokes are no better....they use a motorcycle engine that revs it self to an early grave at 10,000 rpm, while needing a power robbing transfer case to bring the revs down to a useable range at the pump.

Richard

www.hpmarineltd.com

cracked hull

I looked into the lemon law and it does not apply to marine. But there is a another avenue of warrenty breach and something along those lines. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they do the right thing.

Peter

+1
    Thats quite the ordeal Peter. Best of luck with that situation!

+1
    Just keep sending this message up the chain of command. It doesn't hurt to throw in why you chose Yamaha as the PWC of your choice, based on their solid reputation of quality within an industry that is now flooded with competitive manufacturers of similar quality craft (no pun intended). If you kiss their ass a little and throw in a back handed compliment here and there, then when you state your gripe chances are they'll respond more quickly and positively as they might think they can salvage this outspoken person to once again promote their product.

Thread Information