Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile 2008 Honda Aquatrax 1500

Hello everyone,

Its been awhile since I was aboard, but I hope everyone is doing well. Wish we could make it to Mudbug Nationals this year, but it just ain't in the cards. Anyway, the wife and I just purchased two (2) new Honda F-15x Aquatrax. They are by far greatly improved from the 2004 and 2005 F-12x's we had for the last three years. Here's a couple things I found just in case any of you out there are looking into buying one:

Dry - I wouldn't hesitate to put on my Sunday suit and dress shoes and ride around the lake. I found that I had to force water in the foot wells just to keep my feet cool.

Smooth - The extra 8" and new hull design make it extremely smooth. On waves that I used to stand up on so that I wouldn't crush a vertebrae, I just sit and enjoy the ride.

Speed - Just went out and GPS'd it at 63.8mph with my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx on relatively smooth water (slight ripples). Raced the Yamaha SHO last Sunday and the speeds were almost identical. SHO was slightly quicker from dead stop, but only stayed about 1/2 boat length in front. From rolling turn on (about 35mph), the F-15x pulled slightly quicker, but only stayed about 1/2 boat length in front of the SHO.

Stability - Great! I found that if you do one of those "go back the way you were coming" real fast, you have to give a little more throttle. It seems that the back comes around a little slower...maybe due to the larger jet or length...hhhmmmmmmmm .

Storage - While advertised as 2-gallons less than the F-12x, the front compartment is not as wide, but deeper. Of course, there is glove compartment which is about the same, but I liked the extra storage under the rear seat. Just big enough to put stuff in that you don't use too often.

Fuel - 18.5 gallons as compared to 16.6 on the F-12x, and high octane only (91 or better). Seems comparable to mileage on the F12x and just about the same as the Yamaha SHO. The gauge has six bars. It burned one (1) bar in about 1-hour 15-minutes at an average speed of 45mph.

Turbo - No noticeable turbo lag. Completely different from the f-12x, where you can feel the boost. The F-15x just increases in speed rapidly and smoothly. If you really pay attention and your on smooth water, you might be able to tell when the boost is kicking in. I think that without too much trouble, someone will come up with a boost kit that'll blow the socks off.

Cons - (1) While its not absolutely necessary, adjustable trim would be nice. I think I'll have to put a wedge in so that I can get a little more of the front out of the water. (2) Cruise control like the Yamaha SHO would be nice too! (3) A built in depth finder like the Seadoo would be fantastic. (4) The speedometer wheel was moved from the right side on as on the F-12x to right in the middle. Turbolence causes the readout to be very irratic and useless.

If there's anything else I might have forgotten to mention, please ask and I'll try to fill you in. Its my understanding that the F-15x's are in short supply....especially the silver ones. I bought the first two (a silver and a blue) in Lake Charles two weeks ago and they have yet to get another in. Personally, I'm thrilled with them and can't wait to get more riding time in, regardless of the gas prices. Take care!

Karl Gillard
    Lake Charles, LA

+1
    Great writeup, Karl.
    BTW, how about those Tigers [LSU]....
    JR

+1

New Hondas

Great write up and thanks for being so complete with the Pro's and cons. Load those big suckers up and come join us on the Tennessee River next month. Might be the only Hondas there as they are just now hitting the dealers around Middle Tn. and very few are to be sold, like only 400 this year is what they say. Glad to hear about the MPG input as I was concerned that as large of craft that they seem to be it would drop like the other big jet's. Won't get started about those Hogasaki's. The only Hondas we have had on the trip have gone over to the New Sea Doo's 255 hp. I bet their Gas bill this year will jump several gals of Gas. Check us out at
    www.tennessriver600.com

Big George

How many GPS miles can the F15X do on a tankful of gas?

mitch

Hey Mitch,

Well, I haven't used the GPS for mileage yet, but I hope to soon. Rain expected this weekend, so we may stay indoors. I see you're in Southeast Asia. I doubt they'd make it there on one tank....HA!HA!HA!

Soon as I get a chance, I'll take some readings for you, but I'm figuring about 110 or so miles to a tank.

Hey Big George,

Wish I could make it to Tennessee. Maybe one day this summer if we get time from work. How's the water there?

Cool new skis

Nice report and very accurate too. I test rode a sivler one a couple weeks ago at East Side, Baytown and I agree with every aspect of you review. But I also test rode the RXT-X right next door and for good or bad , right or wrong, I traded in ol RED (fastest Honda at Mudbug II, the only Honda, ha) for a Doo. Dang, 18 gallons would be nice. Also, I haven't seen it yet but was on the pon with Paul today when he picked up his SHO. Looking forward to see y'all again (and your new toys). Maybe at Sam Rayburn or for sure Nibblets or any other bapwa or cwa rides.
    Charles aka Red Baron, Silver Baron(now)

Hey Charles (Barron),

We had kinda thought about the Doo's also, but the closet dealer is in Texas. In the past, I had a bunch of trouble with Seadoo's and spent a lot of money in repairs. Kinda put a bad taste in my mouth for a while, but I have to take into consideration that they were used and without a doubt....abused prior to my buying them.

Since all I've had to do was put gas in my Honda's for the last 3 years, I decided to stick with them. While not the fastest; nor the best whistles and bells; I have to say that they're very reliable. And, for the type riding we do, comfort, big gas tanks, and reliability are where its at.

I think any of the major brands are probably just as good as the other if you take care of them and conduct proper maintenance. The local Honda shop is only a few blocks from my house and they cut me a helluva deal too!

Any time you get ready to ride, give us a yell and we hook up. I look forward to Sam Rayburn also. Tell Paul and Anna hello for me when you see them.

Karl

Karl...
    Just saw your reply. New hondas running fine, I'm sure. We had a big ride at canyon lake. You are right about those repairs on cdo, already 3 times in the shop (minor stuff) but that is 3 times more than honda (4 years). Practical range cut from 100+ to 75 (maybe). James & Becky are looking at getting rid of polaris's and getting hondas. Dealers are kinda proud in Texas maybe they need to check in LC (live near PA). Paul got sho but have not seen it yet and also another sho in the club. Hope to see yall at S. Rayburn.

Hey Barron,

You might want to tell your friends to check Honda of Lake Charles. Last week, they got one blue/black F15x and don't expect another till that one is sold. Last time I checked, they were on sale for $12,600.00.

When is Sam Rayburn?

Karl

Karl...
    That is a good price, I will let them know. It is hard to believe Honda has such a limited supply but that is the same story in the houston area too. They have had 6 years to retool!
    BAPWA's Sam Rayburn Ride is July 12 / 13. The HQ has changed to Bass Buster Inn (close to the damn and ramp). The other place was full.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information