D Plate on a XLL1200

Does anyone have a DIY tutorial on replacing the Cat Converter with a D Plate and sensor on a 2000 XLL1200? There looks to be pleanty of room in the rear hull area to work. How long should it take for a first timer?

Thanks, this board has been great!!

+1
    Its harder to do the D-plate on a XLL-XLT than on a GPR... it is a BITCH to get the stinger out! I just disconnected the stinger at all ends and swiveled it up so that I could have room to install the D-plate on my old 2000 XLL. Its pretty simple... unbolt every where the stinger is connected which includes the band clamps to the waterbox, 3 bolts by the tail, the two that connect the stinger to the head and the 2 on the lower mounting bracket betwen the head and stinger. Be very careful once you get it rotated and start loosening the bolts that hold in the Cat because they are notorious for breaking. You might want to put several layers of masking/Painters tape around the lip of your ski if you don't want to bang it up trying to remove or swivel the stinger. Good luck!

Yeah, a couple years back the stinger directions everywhere was "unbolt and remove it". I was reading the directions from a GPR and trying to do it with an XLT. After doing it a few times it's still a pain, but I know the tricks!

You would think it would be easier on a bigger ski.... noooooooooooo

I hate to ask the question to let my newbieness shine, but what is the stinger? I have gotten that it is something to do with the exaust.

+1
    It's the rear part of your exhaust before the waterbox.

On my xlt, having taken the exhaust out a few times to check the carbs and such, it was a pain. It took me like 20 minutes trying to maneuver it out of the engine bay. When I installed my dplate on my gpr, I was like blahhh, I don't want to scratch my ski all up trying to yank this thing out. So I just took the front part of the exhaust off (came out really easy, just unbolt, turn that part of the exhaust counter-clockwise, and pull out). Then I just went and unbolted all the 12mm bolts holding the cat on. There's one 14mm bolt underneath that you gotta take out with a ratcheting wrench. Then just take it out, and replace with the dplate.

That's how I did it, because I didn't want to deal with the heavy stinger that takes me forever to pull out.

+1
    Stinger is the big S shaped metal tube that connects to the water box.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kaarona1 View Post
    I hate to ask the question to let my newbieness shine, but what is the stinger? I have gotten that it is something to do with the exaust.
    welcome to the forum

There is no winter in Hawaii! tnerb's Avatar
    I am not sure of the differences between the XLT and the XLL but on my 2004 XLT it was tough to get out. I think it took me about an hour just to get it out of the hull. Once you get it out the D-Plate install is really easy, just take the bolts out from the big end and the cat comes right out.

I posted some pictures of the stinger and the notch I had to make in the hull to get the damm thing out. the second time went much easier and only took about 15 minutes. Main thing is keep your bolts seperated out. I put mine in zip lock bags and mark them with the item numbers from the service manual. Makes putting it back together so much easier.

Take a look at the pictures, first one is the stinger, second is the engine without the stinger (and carbs) and the third is the notch. hope these help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0862.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	398.5 KB 
ID:	76533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0863.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	470.5 KB 
ID:	76534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0864.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	318.0 KB 
ID:	76535  

Quote Originally Posted by tnerb View Post
    I am not sure of the differences between the XLT and the XLL but on my 2004 XLT it was tough to get out. I think it took me about an hour just to get it out of the hull. Once you get it out the D-Plate install is really easy, just take the bolts out from the big end and the cat comes right out.

I posted some pictures of the stinger and the notch I had to make in the hull to get the damm thing out. the second time went much easier and only took about 15 minutes. Main thing is keep your bolts seperated out. I put mine in zip lock bags and mark them with the item numbers from the service manual. Makes putting it back together so much easier.

Take a look at the pictures, first one is the stinger, second is the engine without the stinger (and carbs) and the third is the notch. hope these help.
    nice

Thread Information