Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hurricane Ally aka Polk county, Auburndale Florida.

MSX 150 Red Light - Cooling Indication

Florida MSX 150, Freshwater use for last 9 months, prior to that had been in salt but flushed regularly (so previous owner said). Less that 80 hrs on rig.

Anyway had a factory service performed and they changed coolant etc. about 4 months ago, all was good till last weekend. Just called local dealer and there is a 4 week back log, I have no patients.

So is there a way for me to check for blockages in the cooling system? I have hooked a hose up to the ski and ran it in reverse on trailer, water came out in one hard stream and one trickle stream, hard stream was cool, the lighter stream was hot water.

Hopefully this will make sense to some of you as it didn't to me, anyway the motor was definitely warm, any advice, guidance, etc. on where to look and how to clear blockages is greatly appreciated.

+1
    Maunal can be found here..
    http://www.mattmans.com/polaris/upload/

Cool, thanks. I have tried that without much success, it has been a week so I will put the ski in the water this evening and see if the condition has cleared.

If not are there any hoses I can disconnect and blow water thru directly to clear a blockage? Are there any steps published anywhere which a dealer would follow to clean out the cooling system?

Thanks again for your reply and assistance, happy jetting....

+1
    I am not familiar with the MSX others will chime in. Here is a start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSX110-150NoRestriction.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	365.0 KB 
ID:	76331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSX110-150NoRestriction_0001.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	510.8 KB 
ID:	76332  

Had that problem once, but it cleared up. Not sure what really caused it. Check and make sure you don't have anything in the impeller. I have the servise manual also. does not help much. When you un-hook the hose to drain it, you don't get much out. The system holds a gallon , but you can't get a half of that out. I took them to Orlando to a dealer last summer, and that's how they did it also, un-hook the lower hose and let it drain, charged me for a gallon. Never again.

Ok, I have to water test afterwhile as my company thinks I am suppose to work when I am "working from home". Anyway, I didn't find any blockage in the tube to the manifold, but I did stick a pointed screw driver into the T-Joint that feeds this hose and believe there was possibly something there as there was just the slightest resistence when I initially put the screw driver into the opening.

Looking32098, I am concerned as I do not see how water could drain out of the hose I disconnected. Could you be speaking of a different hose then what is pictured? If so can you provide me with some guidance on where it is located?

Again thank everyone for their assistance as I am anxious to get this ski back in service. It is a very comfortable and fun ride.

See page 4.63, of the service manual. There is a T there, I guess thats where you are looking? I diconnected the line to the fill tank, which goes to that T to the water pump. The manual just says to undo it and lay it down to drain. I only get about a little over a ouart out. The deales drained it the same way. From what I know from the dealer, there is not really a way to pwer flush the system. ( Sucks) Also see page 2.22 and make sure the screen and clean and water comes out. I know basic stuff, but you never know. You can do a pressure test see page 2.13 you need a Mity Vac hand pump....

Where in Florida are you..

Auburndale, halfway between Orlando and Tampa on I-4. I will check the references you gave and see what I come up with.

I did lake test it and had same problem, I pulled the hose off of the exhaust and had a stream of water through there into the bilge, so I know I have water flow to that point.

I am going to try to flush again with hose, my ski will idle and the warning comes on after the startup diagnositics finish, about 10 seconds or so after completion. I do not know if I am encountering the Heat Soak problem referenced in the post from Beerdart or if I have another problem.

I will post more after using hose and flushing it......

Thanks again...

Ok, I put the hose on it and flushed it. Water appeared to be coming out of all the exit ports properly. I also pulled the cap off of the coolant resevoir and looked inside it while the ski was running. There was a high pressure stream so that tells me the closed system is working.

BTW, just to clarify the hoses I pulled from the fresh water (open) cooling system were on top of the exhaust manifold and not in the bottom of the hull where the manual says to clamp if your towing a dead ski. Should I be looking at removing those hoses or is it safe to assume since I have good water flow on the hose that there isn't a blockage in the system?

If there isn't a blockage in the system then the question becomes what would cause this condition, also one other item to mention. The manual talks about rpm's being limited to 2000 for cooling problems, mine are limited at 1800. Does this have any significance?

Finally, the exhaust manifold gets too hot to put your hand on but I don't know enough about skis to know if this is normal. The same is true for the valve cover, in boats I have previously owned you were able to put your hand on top of the exhaust manifold while the engine was running if it was a wet system.

As always thank everyone in advance for all of the assistance and insight.

+1
    ok with the engine running and the unit the the water when the light comes on do the following:
    take the seat off and drizzle some water on the exhaust manifold. if it sizzles it is too hot. if it just evaporates then it is ok.
    if it does not sizzle unplug the exhaust temp sensor on the back of the exhaust manifold (a single blue/red wire that runs along the valve cover to the rear of the exhaust manifold)
    if it runs good and the light goes out you need a new exhaust temp sensor!
    they go bad from people running their machine out of the water for longer than 30 seconds without water and it cooks the sensor!

hope this helps you out!!!
    let us know what you make out.

Jay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information