Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

RXP-X supercharger bearings took a shit

Not real happy about this. RXP-X with 10 hours loses power, only runs to 7800 RPM and makes a slight knocking sound. Took the hose off the supercharger outlet (charger to intercooler) and the hose and inside of charger outlet is covered in gray dust. Dealer will get to it next week. I haven't been to a dealer in 10 years and it scares the shit out of me.

For those in the know, what are the chances of this causing particles whether from the charger blade or possible damage to the shaft to get into the motor and cause severe damage?

I hate to say it but I KNEW this was going to happen on an X ski. That sucks to say the least. I'm not sure, but I would think that if you were still turning those RPM you should be alright. Man I was wanting and X charger too. I still want one but I think before I drop it in I will send it to Jerry and have him put the new ceramic bearings in.

Hopefully you're back on the water and running strong asap MPower. Best of luck to ya.

What were your RPM before?

SPEED COMES 1/10 @ A TIME SpeedFreeks Racing's Avatar
    +1

low rpm

2 weeks ago a friend of mine asked me to take a look at his bone stock X with 4hrs on it. he said it would not turn over 7800rpm. i checked the oil it was way over full so i fixed that and took the ski back out and it picked 100rpm...still not good. i took the intercooler lines off and there was pices of the wheel in the intercooler.. also not good.

he took it back to the dealer and they found a 6mm stainless washer that was flying around in the supercharger.

i wounder if you have the same problem????

+1
    RPM's before were 8160 instantly. While it is at 7800 now it is WAY down on power and the charger clearly isnt making full boost.

Lucky for me (haha) I was close to the dock when this happened so it doesn't have much run time on it. The ski would still idle fine and under 4000 RPM was relatively okay. But there is certainly a louder distinct knocking noise coming from engine bay, which it now seems was clearly the charger beating around in there.

I'm just praying nothing got into the motor. Paying 13k for a ski and then 10 hours later it going boom is hard to swallow. I know it is just my nerves doing the talking, but right now I just assume sell the thing and buy a cheapo standup or 96 XP or something and then use the rest of the cash to buy another motorcycle (Ducati 848 or Hypermotard 1100) and turn my current 600 into a track bike.

Just hoping this gets resolved smoothly with warranty work and it running properly when I get it back.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    Not real happy about this. RXP-X with 10 hours loses power, only runs to 7800 RPM and makes a slight knocking sound. Took the hose off the supercharger outlet (charger to intercooler) and the hose and inside of charger outlet is covered in gray dust. Dealer will get to it next week. I haven't been to a dealer in 10 years and it scares the shit out of me.

For those in the know, what are the chances of this causing particles whether from the charger blade or possible damage to the shaft to get into the motor and cause severe damage?
    Sorry to hear this happen to you. I see stock bearings fail all the time. Some last forever, some last 100 hours and i see some go in less than 10 hours.

My X did 8k @ 3hours It has been @ 7850/ 7900 ever since...68mph. As of a couple weeks ago boost gauge was still showing 10lb though.

Been bitchin about it but have not pushed it other than putting on a R+D grate and thats not fixing the problem. Actually it runs OK other than top end. Hate to hear of your misfourtune M Power But I thank you for the heads up on it. I hope to get to the bottom of mine someday

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Sorry to hear this happen to you. I see stock bearings fail all the time. Some last forever, some last 100 hours and i see some go in less than 10 hours.

Jerry what are the chances of additional damage from small pieces getting into the motor?

Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    Now I am concerned only 5 hours on mine no mods yet. It runs great just need 5 more hours before I start my project. Trying to get to some races this year with mine. But i dont think I will make Myrtle Beach. I think I might make Orange Beach race though. I may just run stock for awhile until we can figure out if the X Skis are going to have the same issues as the older RXP's

Yea jerry let us know anything you can.

Sorry to hear about your luck. I had the inner SC bearing go on my 04 RXP. Aluminum dust coated the TB and connecting pieces (hoses, IC, & intake manifold) and I cleaned all this out, and replaced the SC completely. I was diligent in cleaning all the dust or aluminum shavings but suspected some got in the motor. I never knew for sure if any of the bearing casing went through but after getting everything back together the RPM's were as the were prior to the SC bearing failure. Also I did a compression check after running it a bit and that was normal as well so it appeared the rings were not damaged either. I put 10 more hrs on that ski after that and it was not burning oil and the RPM's were always fine, along with the compression.
    I would do a compression test, definitely change oil (even if your dealer claims to) and keep an eye on your oil level. If it starts burning oil take it back to the dealer. Hopefully it all works out for you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information