Red face Polaris bilge pump fuse blowing

Here's the story. I have been getting no spark from my 2003 polaris virage for the past month. i got the service manual and shot all the wires from the stator,starter, new battery ( reads 12.6 static and 10.9-11.1 while cranking @ the battery not the MFI), the coil, spark plug wires, put in new factory spec plugs, but still no spark. I saw that the bilge pump fuse was blown so I replaced it. Went to crank it and noticed the bilge pump turned on while I was attempting a start. I checked the start stop switch and the teather and all ohmed out good. Then the bilge fuse blew again. So my question is should the bilge be on while cranking? And if the battery reads good at the battery but the display reads "Low battery" shoul I replace the battery ? It sounds like a shorted ground somewhere or maybe the computer. Any help? I have researched alot of threads about no spark but haven't found my problem.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check the battery cables at both ends for corrosion, especially the negative cable at the engine end.

You should have a solid ZERO ohms between battery negative post (the actual post, not the bolt or wire on the post) and the metal of the engine block.

On the positive side, make sure you don't have corrosion under or on the positive cables at the battery OR the solenoid.

Bilge pump should NOT be running while the engine is off. During cranking, I am not sure, but it shouldn't make a difference.

Blowing fuses; either the pump has gone bad, or has something jammed inside (or in the exit hose), or you have a short in the wiring between the fuse and the pump. Check the wires. Good replacement bilge pumps are not expensive.

BTW, if the pump still has a nylon tie holding the hose onto the pump, you should change it to a more reliable SS gear clamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5200023.JPG 
Views:	855 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	76337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5119893.JPG 
Views:	395 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	76338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5200022.JPG 
Views:	631 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	76339  

I hooked up a freshly charged battery and now the display will not come on but the engine turns over? The pump is not on when the engine is off but during cranking it is. I thought it was jammed like U said but it spins freely and I don't have the zip tie installed. I checked for corrosion and I cleaned the cables and the ground at the block. So far everything checked good. I will check that ground cable for 0 ohms when I get home from work.

+1
    Disconnect bilge pump wire connector .Replace fuse and then see if details come back on screen.This will determine if the bilge is the issue .Bilge should also come on while cranking

Bernie

Thanks bernie I'll try that in the a.m.

Could this be the cause for my no spark issue.

Thread Information