Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Error Code P-1544

Hi everyone, so I am at the lake with my new Gibson exhaust and once I get over 8000 RPM's I am getting an error code P-1544 high exhaust temp.

Is this the sensor that screws into the waterbox/muffler?

I checked my manifold and jpipe by touch and they were not hot at all. The problem only occurs after 8000 RPM's. I can ride no problem at 7500 rpms.

I checked and did not see any water leaks.

Thanks,
    Ahmed

Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    Hi everyone, so I am at the lake with my new Gibson exhaust and once I get over 8000 RPM's I am getting an error code P-1544 high exhaust temp.

I checked my manifold and jpipe by touch and they were not hot at all. The problem only occurs after 8000 RPM's. I can ride no problem at 7500 rpms.

Thanks,
    Ahmed
    is the sensor installed in the new gibson muff? did you remember to hook up the connector?...

+1
    a few guys with the Gibson have had this problem. maybe the exhaust gets a little hotter then stock and the temp sensor is Pre set so it reacts with the different temps ? anyone else have any input or ideas as i`m in the middle of installing mine.

BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaffabas View Post
    a few guys with the Gibson have had this problem. maybe the exhaust gets a little hotter then stock and the temp sensor is Pre set so it reacts with the different temps ? anyone else have any input or ideas as i`m in the middle of installing mine.
    OR LINES ARE CLOGGED, NOT GETTING ENOUGH WATER TO IT.

Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post

Thanks,
    Ahmed
    Aha, you have a PM, I'll explain to you what's hapenning

there is a simple fix for this . you can install resistors in series with either one of the wires on the sensor. By doing this, you aren’t bypassing the overheat sensor but instead just making the ecu think the exhaust temp is lower than what it really is. You want to use the lowest number you can without tripping the overheat sensor. Start with a 50 ohm resistor but not to exceed 120. for example if your exhaust sensor is seeing 230 degrees, with a 100 ohm resistor, your ecu will read 194 degrees.
    I had to do this to my 04 rxp three years ago(for other reasons) and it does work and doesn’t create any other funny effects.

Quote Originally Posted by seadoo1120 View Post
    there is a simple fix for this . you can install resistors in series with either one of the wires on the sensor. By doing this, you aren’t bypassing the overheat sensor but instead just making the ecu think the exhaust temp is lower than what it really is. You want to use the lowest number you can without tripping the overheat sensor. Start with a 50 ohm resistor but not to exceed 120. for example if your exhaust sensor is seeing 230 degrees, with a 100 ohm resistor, your ecu will read 194 degrees.
    I had to do this to my 04 rxp three years ago(for other reasons) and it does work and doesn’t create any other funny effects.
    Agreed, but why fool the sensor if you can make the sensor happy and NO fault. A happy sensor is a safe sensor all the way around.

Jammer, with a first generation rotax ecu, this worked out the best. at the time mark u said to plug the waterbox and leave the sensor outside but if it ever did overheat, you wouldn't know it till the waterbox melted.
    but I'm always interested in hearing new ideas.

Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrojunkie View Post
    OR LINES ARE CLOGGED, NOT GETTING ENOUGH WATER TO IT.
    Jay, when you did testing with it on a rxt did you ever get a temp warning ? did you have any long rides over an hour without the extra water line turned on. just wanting to know as to weather i can run it without the extra water line in. i was going to run a solenoid to the water line with a switch in the glove box so as i can switch to and from quiet mode when needed. but first want to nut out a few things. regardless of the minor setbacks with the exhaust it is a shmick looking unit and design so well done.

Quote Originally Posted by seadoo1120 View Post
    Jammer, with a first generation rotax ecu, this worked out the best. at the time mark u said to plug the waterbox and leave the sensor outside but if it ever did overheat, you wouldn't know it till the waterbox melted.
    but I'm always interested in hearing new ideas.

Mike
    Mike, never told you anything,,,,Re-Read my post. Gee, If ever I did that post.....I probably was Drinking I saw a GH member fooled a Water Box sensor by installing it outside the waterbox with a clamp. I would not mention names as I have full respect of the member....his action and a good 1, tells me it can be fooled the sensor
    Last edited by Jammer 1; 06-08-2008 at 01:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information