Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Pretty sure my brand new engine is toast

Well today I finished up all the loose ends on my boat. I've spent a lot of time and money to get it to the point where it is now and I'm pretty sure this engine is toast. I was all ready to fire her up for the very first time in almost 2 year; poured some 50:1 down each carb and pressed the starter button. It was running good for 5 seconds or so with a lot of smoke which is good then I heard a loud shrieking/howling noise which is pretty much a sure sign of shot bearings. I pulled the plugs and turned the engine over and it still had this terrible noise. If this is the case, I am done. I don't have any desire at all to completely strip it down all over again. I would much rather sell it for basically nothing or just junk it and sell the trailer. I am so fucking pissed at the moment....

i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar
    i dont care who you are or what you built...that straight sucks. did you do the engine build? oh big bummer bro...unfortunately, i know exactly how you feel - over it. someone take this thing from me...

Yea, I did the engine assemble but it went together smooth. I'm just so frustrated and fed up at this moment. I don't want to look at it; I just want it gone. All the money I sunk into it for nothing. Couldn't even get 1 ride from it.

+1
    5 seconds to destroy new engine ?Take the jet unit drive shaft out and try it then .Pour some raw 2 stroke oil down the carbs ,Take the plugs out and crank it for a bit .Then put the plugs in and start it again . If it has been sitting for a long time your bearings can be bad in the jet unit .Also the prop could be touching the unit housing(wear ring) as they blister some times .
    Don't abandon ship yet .Wait until the water is up to your neck ,then jump

Cheers

Bernie

Video clip:

The jet pump was just rebuilt with the help of Beerdart. I don't have the money to keep sinking into this thing. I've gotten to the point where I just want to cut my loses.

+1
    Pull the pump and see what you get.. I am home if you want to talk.

Update!

It runs great! [knock on wood] Turns on it was the coupler cover (that black cover piece) was making that noise. I had a hose clamp over it and I guess it was causing some binding. I pulled it off and boom!

See for yourself. I am so relieved.

+1
    Hey nice mats. I will be at Zoar tomorrow if you want to give it a water test. I will be there all day... PS put the cover back on and I will give you $200 for it>>>>>>>

Yay! good for you man!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information