Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A thought...

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar

A thought...

Those of you who know electronics, would it be possible to use a water sensor from a bilge pump to cut the power to the trailer lights to prevent blown fuses

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    Those of you who know electronics, would it be possible to use a water sensor from a bilge pump to cut the power to the trailer lights to prevent blown fuses
    I would think a water sensor from Bilge pump would complete the circuit when it senses water. So you have no lights going down the highway, and lights when the trailer is submerged. IMO, you would need a switch that is closed when no water is present, and open when water is present.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    try a mecrury(sp) switch on the tongue wired into the ground ..
    now this will NOT work if you have any hills steeper than the ramps that you use-
    it will take about 5 min to setup and adjust -so when the trailer gets tilted(on ramp) the ground will be disconnected
    you can try the float like you asked but like cbrich said it would not do what you wanted to UNLESS you used it to trigger a solenoid to disconnect the lights just some worthless pennys for ya
    mattman

+1
    Probably not the answer you're looking for. But, I used to pop trailer bulbs and blow truck fuses until I switched to L.E.D trailers lights. Been using same L.E.D's for year and half with no problems with lights or blown fuses.

I leave the harness connected when backing in.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you are blowing fuses when you back into the water (salt water, I presume), then you have exposed electrical connections. Seal all the connections, and you shouldn't blow fuses.

Install LED lights, which themselves can be fully sealed, since they never need to have the bulb changed. In addition, there is much less thermal shock from the cold water, since the LED lights don't get so hot inside.

Use heat shrink tubing (preferably the kind with sealant inside) on all splices and wire connections.

Use dielectric waterproof grease (Nyogel) or a good flexible sealant on all exposed connections at the back of the lamps, that cannot be heat shrunk sealed.

Cutting the ground wire from the tow vehicle will not really isolate the fused circuits, since the frame of the trailer is still electrically connected to the tow vehicle through the hitch. The powered side of the lamp circuits is still live, so the fuses are still exposed to the current flow through the water.

XLTNoob
    Two quick comments:

First, with a moisture switch that's normally open, and closed when water is sensed, it is possible to use a double-throw relay to cut power from the lights when the sensor closes.

This still isnt' feasable, as you still have a 12V hot wire running into the water.

So far, nothing's beat my policy of simply unplugging the trailer before I back in.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    You know the cheapest route to do this would be to unplug your lights before you back in the water...thats what I do and it seems to work just fine. JMO

+1
    The 2 times i unplugged my lights . . i forgot to plug them in on the way home . . sooo i don't knoww

+1
    I know this is an old post but got bored. How about a bilge with a float. Just turn it upside down so when it is dry it is on and when you pull in the water it floats and turns them off. But still as soon as you pull out and touch the brakes it will send juice to the lights and they will probably still be filled with water unless you cut the bottoms out.

Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeRXP View Post
    How about a bilge with a float. Just turn it upside down so when it is dry it is on and when you pull in the water it floats and turns them off. But still as soon as you pull out and touch the brakes it will send juice to the lights and they will probably still be filled with water unless you cut the bottoms out.

DUDE i seriously think that will work!..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information