Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Frustrated With Super Charger

I don't know why but can't get it to grab right. I instauled the RR heavy duty shaft and clutch ran the machine only saw 7psi. When I got back in checked the torgue and could spin it @ 3 psi. Added some shimes went back out and right away no boost. Back to the shop, pulled it apart and the inner ceramic whasher broke apart and fell inside engine. Do these things need maybe a couple of hours of run time to kinda burn in?? And do I need to be worried about that washer that broke and start ripping the engine apart to find it????

Thanks!

+1
    Read this post. I think you will find what you need to do.

http://www.sea-doo.net/techArticles/ceramic%2Dclutch/

+1
    Unfortunately you made a mistake by adding another shim. It put too much tension on the clutch and it disentegrated. Look forward to cleaning out the screen in the front of your engine and in the PTO housing. You will find lots of ceramic particles in these screens.

Some experts even say to replace the oil pumps.

By the way, if you are running the stock SC impeller the 7 lbs of boost was about right.

+1
    After much trial and even more error, I am of the opinion that a low slip point is the way to go. All the aftermarket clutches I have used (and killed) had slip moments of 10 foot pounds or more. At Mudbug, I ran a full day with an SC that had a slip moment of less than 5 foot pounds. It appears that you eat washers at higher torque numbers. My feeling is you need to set the initial slip moment at 8 foot pounds or less, run it and let it loosen a bit, check it again, and if you are between 6-8 foot pounds, you are safe. Just my opinion.

+1
    are you guys sure it is foot lbs you should be torqueing to, i was talking to glen the other day and he was saying they should be torqued to NM. might be something to think about,

+1
    Newton Meters can be converted to Foot Pounds.

1 newton meters = 0.737562149 foot pounds

Not everyone has a newton meter torque wrench so they simply do the conversion

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    You are better off with a torque wrench that reads inch pounds!!!

+1
    What happens when a stock clutch goes?? If the ceramic discs fall apart I know for sure my local dealer has never ripped into the engine to look for the peices.

+1
    I was at my local dealer and he had an engine out of an '05 and it was completely disassembled. He held up a baggie of gearing, ceramic disc bits, and metal shavings. Apparently a stock ski's clutch disc chipped away and eventually (after much more riding) everything else just started getting destroyed.

The point he (local mechanic) wanted to make was that he had ordered a new clutch assembly (stock) and it came with some ever-so-slight nicks on the ceramic discs and he refused to put them in knowing that it would be the eventual cause of another failure. He opinions that mishandling at the factory or somewhere along the way could chip and cause a fissure that will eventually break apart under the strain.

In addition to carefully adjusting the tension perhaps when replacing these discs some sort of magnification should be used to ensure the structure of these discs.

+1
    Nils, how many inch pounds do you recommend for a Rotax Racing heavy duty clutch?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information