VTS Motor question...

My VTS gauge doesn't, and i'm in no rush to replace it. So my question is...When the VTS maxes out. (Full up/down) does the motor have some sort of microswitch inside to tell it to stop spinning? Or does it still try to move it?? My concern is that without a VTS gauge. I may be holding the button up or down for a bit when it's already all the way up or down. Am i gonna burn out the motor when it hits the "stops" ?? Thanks!

No, once it hits it's limit it won't try to continue any further. A little quick something you can do though is when the ski is on the trailer, put your DESS on there and run the VTS. Leave the seat off and when you max out the travel, try to go further. See if you hear a click when you try...that will tell you for sure if it's still trying to move. Something else you can do, when running it, count how long it takes to go from one end of travel to the other...2 or 3 seconds I think and just try to use that as your idea of how far it has moved while on the water. I have heard that the guage is related directly to the motor and with a new motor the guage will work again. Not sure if that's accurate on the skis but I have seen that in boat trim systems.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Unplug the two brown wires coming from the VTS housing to the gauge to verify if it's the gauge or housing. If, after unplugging and hitting the start/stop button to energize, if the gauge goes full up the gauge it's ok.
    Bad VTS. Opposite, otherwise.

Have you even verified the motor works?

And yes, there is a magnet that stops the motor from running, but since you haven't verified what's wrong this may be broken in the VTS housing also.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Unplug the two brown wires coming from the VTS housing to the gauge to verify if it's the gauge or housing. If, after unplugging and hitting the start/stop button to energize, if the gauge goes full up the gauge it's ok.
    Bad VTS. Opposite, otherwise.

Have you even verified the motor works?

And yes, there is a magnet that stops the motor from running, but since you haven't verified what's wrong this may be broken in the VTS housing also.
    Yeah my VTS has always worked fine. I just haven't replaced my broken (and full or water) VTS gauge.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Ok, then it will stop. You need to time how long it takes to go from full down to full up, then only push that long.

Thread Information