Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Launch a boat by myself

Hello Everyone, I just got a left over 07 Speedster 150 and want to give it a try before taking family and friends. Although I know some basic boating pratice, but I have never launched a boat before. Can I launch the boat by myself and how should I do it properly? Also, what things should I look for when delivery of the boat since the the boat has been on the lot for sometimes. Thanks for your advice.

Look for any major sunfad on paint ,plastic ,seats ,etc.,make sure all systems work fan, bilge,etc. Just look the boat over good before you sign the deal and anything you have to fix get it in writing,I had a chip on the cooler door and my salesman is like I'll tale care of it ,lets get the paperwork done . Its 3 months now and I had to bring the boat back and make a claim with service they will say and promise you the worl just to get the deal done. As for launching alone I do all the time ,I take the latch from winch of all straps back the trailers wheels to the edge of water and I have the 2 ropes from front and rear cleats on side of middle of boat . I pull the boat right next to the dock ,I walk up to the top and reach over and grab the rope and pull the boat off the trailer ,then tie it up and pull the trailer out . Goodluck anything else give us a shout where all here to help eachother. P.S. when you do get the boat think about gettin the ceramic supercharger washers changed ,I here there a problem waiting to happen, I did not have that problem because I picked up a 2008. Do a search on the ceramic washers in the search bar above and youlll get the whole story.

definetly back it in the water and leave it on the trailer while you inspect for any leaks , I do this on all my mayden voyages and it saved at least 1 disaster

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bynl View Post
    Hello Everyone, I just got a left over 07 Speedster 150 and want to give it a try before taking family and friends.
    Although I know some basic boating pratice, but I have never launched a boat before.
    Can I launch the boat by myself and how should I do it properly?
    Also, what things should I look for when delivery of the boat since the the boat has been on the lot for sometimes...
    Welcome to the Hulk!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    definitely back it in the water and leave it on the trailer while you inspect for any leaks.
    I do this on all my maiden voyages and it saved at least 1 disaster
    The first time you launch, if you can have someone to help you, that would be best. If that someone is familiar with safe boating, even better.

Maiden Launch Ramp process (and the first time every year).

Choose a time and location where the ramp will not be busy, so you won't feel rushed.

Check the drain plugs, make sure they are tight. This is the number one way to feel stupid, if a drain plug is left out!

Leave the rear straps and the front winch in place and tight, then back it down the ramp until the jet drive is fully submerged.

If the tow vehicle exhaust dips into the water, leave the engine running to keep the water from running to far up the pipe.

Make sure the tow vehicle is fully braked, both the parking brake and in Park. Even better if you can have someone patiently sit in the driver's seat and hold the service brake. Never just trust the transmission Park position, without also also using the parking brake.

Now get on the boat, and look for water leaks.

Once you are sure there is no problem, start the engine. Since it is in the water, there is no time limit on how long it can be running. Look for water leaks again, and listen for unusual or unexpected sounds. Don't get paranoid, but be thorough.

After the initial idle period, give it a little throttle. It will try to push the trailer forward, but it shouldn't go anywhere, because it is well strapped to the trailer, with good quality, ratcheting straps.

Watch for engine warnings (temp, etc). Battery charging voltage should be about 14 volts. Steer left and right. Should be smooth.

Back to idle, put it in reverse. Steer left and right. Back to straight ahead, a little throttle. It should all work smoothly.

Look for water leaks again.

If you are happy so far, then idle down, and shut it off.

Pull back up the ramp, remove the rear straps, and prepare to launch.

Of course you will already have the PFDs on board. Put yours on.

Confirm that all the other safety and useful stuff is in place and properly stowed;
    Marine charts of the local waters, Fire Extinguisher, flares, whistle, compressed air horn, extra PFDs, a bright LED flashlight (get one that floats), anchor and rope, tow rope (which is a different rope), dock fenders, GPS and VHF radio, and so on.

There are actually a lot of bits and pieces that you should consider having, to help you solve small problems while on the water.

Have two dock lines in place, ready to tie the boat to the dock. Plan where you will be mooring the boat.

Remember that you will be leaving the boat unattended while you park your vehicle, so do NOT leave the keys in the boat, nor any valuables out in the open.

Then back it down the ramp until the rear of the boat starts to float. Once you have done it a few times, you will get a good feel for how far into the water you need to go.

You want to mostly float the boat off, with just a little friction on the front of the bunks. Loosen the bow winch strap a few clicks, then when the boat is in deep enough (move back a little at a time, get out and check, until it seems about right), undo the bow hook, and float it to the dock to tie it off.

Most ramps are not good for bare feet. Use water shoes.

I am sure there is lots I have left out, but this is a start.

Read and learn - there is lots of good boating info out there!
    Last edited by K447; 06-08-2008 at 10:39 AM.

+1
    welcome to the forum

This is great. A lot of things to learn. Thank you so much. I'm glad I found this forum.

As mentioned, if it is your first time and you are really new to boats and NEVER done this before, it would be a good idea to find someone to go with you.

If that is out of the question, I'll reiterate to go to the ramp sometime when you are SURE that you will NOT be rushed. Go to the ramp on a rainy day when no one else is there and you can do it as sloooow as you want.

Or go to a double ramp at 5 in the morning or something..that way you can learn to back it in straight and slow and back it in right by the dock so you can pull it off with stern and bow lines as previously suggested.

This is an interesting topic as I am also consider a solo launch, but having done it a few times with my dad already I expect it to be easier. Since it is your first time, schedule it so you won't be rushed.
    Last edited by vwDavid; 06-09-2008 at 12:00 AM.

Everything that was said so far was great advice ,the only thing I dont recomend is walking in the water on the ramp . There known to collect alge and be slippery,I have even seen people doing that before and they come out all covered in oil and whatever else is floating and has collected in that area from the boats , Goodluck.

all this is good advice, but in practice, you won't have time to do all that on the boat ramp, certainly not on a busy weekend. Be considerate of others wanting to launch their boat. The proper educate is to get everything ready to go before entering ramp.

Thanks again for all your advice. I have one more question about checking out the operation of the boat before driving off the dealer's lot. Assuming all visual inspections are done, how do you test the boat without having the jet drive submerged to make sure it run properly, or this has to be done at the boat ramp?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information