Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wave Raider 700 - Pre-mix Or Not???

I got my Wave Raider a month ago and I decided to go pre-mix because the ski has high hours (177) and I don't want to be rebuilding the engine because of oil pump failure.

However I just started realizing how much easier it is NOT to premix.

Anyhow - here is the question - should I go to pre-mix or buy a new oil pump. I am of the lazy type, so I might want to buy the oil pump.

A friend told me that "heavy duty", long lasting pumps are available out there? Where can I find one???

Also my hand grips are torn, where can I buy the original grips that are made to work with the QTS switch?

Thanks for the help!

your only choice is the oem pump! they are long lasting but expensive , you would want to change all the hoses and the expensive check valves also to get rid of the real failure prone areas . Boats.net will probably have your grips

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    your only choice is the oem pump! they are long lasting but expensive , you would want to change all the hoses and the expensive check valves also to get rid of the real failure prone areas . Boats.net will probably have your grips
    Ditto all of that. Do the premix. It's not bad.

It seems than that the pump is not the only thing that goes wrong with the oil injection system ...

Then pre-mix is the way to go. How do you pre-mix properly, just dump 1:50 oil in the tank, or mix the oil with gas into a contaner, shake it good and then dump it in the tank. Any input will be helpful as I really don't want to rebuilt the engine bacuse of improper lubrication.

Thanks!

get a ratio rite cup ( even though they are made like crap and have some ignorant measurements) or find another graduated measuring devise that is easy to carry .. I go 40 to 1 to be extra safe and rule out any errors ,, then just add 3.2 oz per gallon or http://www.at-speed.com/air/oil_gas_calc.html

i would def run 40:1

+1
    I ran my modified Raider at 50:1 for many hours/years and no problems. (and NO smoke). One thing about premix on a Raider or any of the earlier Yamahas: They pumped way too much oil at idle and low speeds, if you actually measured how much oil your tank uses compared to the fuel you use, you would see its like 20-25:1. The newer Yamahas use an extra cable from the oil pump to the throttle, which slows the oil down at idle and low speeds.
    THE POINT IS: Premix on a Raider actually makes it run better, smoke less, and the plugs last much longer, Premix has many more benefits than just not having to worry about an oil pump failure.

IMO no matter how much easier it is to not premix it always makes more sense to be premix because the only time you realize you pump isn't working is when its too late

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    get a ratio rite cup ( even though they are made like crap and have some ignorant measurements) or find another graduated measuring devise that is easy to carry .. I go 40 to 1 to be extra safe and rule out any errors ,, then just add 3.2 oz per gallon or http://www.at-speed.com/air/oil_gas_calc.html
    Z do you remember how the loyal RatioRite followers got pissed when we dissed the cup? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    I ran my modified Raider at 50:1 for many hours/years and no problems. (and NO smoke). One thing about premix on a Raider or any of the earlier Yamahas: They pumped way too much oil at idle and low speeds, if you actually measured how much oil your tank uses compared to the fuel you use, you would see its like 20-25:1. The newer Yamahas use an extra cable from the oil pump to the throttle, which slows the oil down at idle and low speeds.
    THE POINT IS: Premix on a Raider actually makes it run better, smoke less, and the plugs last much longer, Premix has many more benefits than just not having to worry about an oil pump failure.
    I will respectfully disagree with you about the ratio on the stock pump. The pump is not "variable ratio" like the later pumps. Its output is based only on RPM (crank driven) so it has the same ratio regardless of RPM Whereas later pumps would vary the ratio based upon throttle position. hence the "variable ratio". They would have something like 100: at idle and maybe 32 or 40:1 at WOT.

Old school pumps have the same ratio all the time...bottom line

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information