Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water Temp warning light

In trying to start my ski 1 week after riding it for hours with no probs, my overheat warning light comes on immediately after I try to start it now. Doesn't appear to have any blockage in the jet intake, intake grate, or in the impeller. I have a 2000 Yamaha GP1200. I found the FAQ on this board to pull the code, but it did give me one. What am I doing wrong for that and any ideas?
    Last edited by JaGlAr; 06-08-2008 at 01:51 PM.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    if it came on when you start the boat your temp sensor is bad or unpluged
    check both of them 1 by the cat and 1 before the water box

g

happened to me a week a go, i have bypassed it with a 20k ohm resistor started first time ,just need to order a new sensor

Got to looking...I did try unplugging and replugging it back up. That didn't work. I was going to take the sensor off, but what tool do I use?? It is surrounded by 2 metal prongs! lol

+1
    its a 14 mm head.. i just used pliers and broke those prongs off. i used 10k ohm resistor and it bypassed it

I was hoping there was a tool I could get, but maybe not. So, you are saying I should use a resistor to bypass it rather than replacing the sensor? Isn't that a good thing to have?

Update....so, I was able to finally get the sensor out (ended up having to break 1 tab), and saw it was dirty and black. Decided before buying another sensor to clean it with rubbing alcohol (cleaned up pretty nicely). Reinstalled it and plugged it up. The ski seemed like it was going to start. I did crank on it 3-4 times (cold natured beast), and then the overheat warning lamp came on again. I don't have a tester unfortunately, so is it safe to say the sensor is bad even though it worked again for a crank or two?

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    I would go ahead and put a d-plate and chip in... your going to do it eventually....

here is the chip
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=118

here is a d-plate
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=124

that should eliminate the sensor prob and will also reduce engine exaust temps....

Please read again, I have a prob with the overheat warning, not cat. I have both D-plate and sensor you are referring to. This different sensor.

+1
    Just order a new sensor then but you can use resistor to see if that is the problem. If the ski starts when u bypass the sensor with the resistor then you need to replace it. A 10k ohm resistor is less than a buck for 4 at radio shack and takes all of 5 mins to bypass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information