Thread: No sparks

No sparks

I have a 1999 XL1200LTD, bought it last spring and ran it all last summer and into the fall with no problems. I winterized it in late October, at which time it was running great. Memorial Day weekend I reinstalled the battery, and it cranked right over, but wouldn't start. A little investigation revealed no sparks from any of the ignition wires. I followed the troubleshooting in the service manual which led me to check output voltage from the CDI at the wires to the coils. I didn't get any reading at all, and followed the next step which was to check output voltage from the rectifier/regulator which was putting out power. Looked like a bad CDI so got a new one and installed with no change in symptoms. Now I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?

Output voltage from the R/R looked to be about 9.5VDC or so - book says to use a particular tester and adapter I don't have so I'm just using a regular digital multimeter.

+1
    First thing I would do is check all the grounds. Then go through the start stop switch and insure everything is working right.

OK, I ought to know how to check the grounds, but could you walk me through it?
    Also, the motor cranks so I didn't suspect start/stop switch. How would I go about checking that?

if all fails i have a stator flywheel and complete electric box, if you just want to cut to the chase and get out on the water i will sell you it all for 350$ and figure out the problem at another time my parts are 100% working

+1
    Grounds are pretty simple check the main one from the battery to the case, there is another from the front cover to the head. The manual will walk you through the start switch wiring.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by buckie View Post
    if all fails i have a stator flywheel and complete electric box, if you just want to cut to the chase and get out on the water i will sell you it all for 350$ and figure out the problem at another time my parts are 100% working
    Use the classifieds to sell your parts.

Bill, I'm still a bit confused on the grounds. Battery to the case I'm assuming I'm looking for the negative cable going to the engine? Where is the one from front cover to the head?

I finally got a chance to check out the start switch after a bunch of travel. I'm not getting continuity across the red/black wires from the switch when the lanyard is in and the start switch is pressed. As I read the service manual, I should see continuity in that condition and it seems logical that I would. It's pretty confusing because the engine will turn over if you hook the battery back up and hit the start switch, but I guess the other two wires coming from the switch take a different path to the starter.

It seems the switch is probably bad. Is there any other test to do before buying another expensive part?

Thread Information