Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stop Obama Express

Removed my pump... NEED LOTS OF HELP!!

Four questions...

First off, what should I do about this huge piece missing from the rear of my ride shoe?

When sliding the driveshaft out of the impeller to wiggle and remove the pump housing, this rubber thing came out from the boot/clamp on the drive shaft. I tried to push it back into the boot and clamp it back in, but it seems like something is pushing it out... what do i do with this?

FINALLY... look at this crappy foam/rubber sealant all over my shoe and jet pump. What is it and what do I use to reseal it when I reinstall my jet pump?

I dont have a picture for the last question, but when removing the nozzle off of the pump, there were NO O-RING's on the top two nozzles. WHY?! What will happen if there is not two o-rings up there? Should I get some?
    Last edited by 240witSR; 06-08-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Buy a new ride plate.

There is no oring (or should not be) holding the SS ring in place. SD originally had an oring there, but found it would collapse, and replaced it with a metal c clip. This is the small groove in the shaft currently under where your SS ring is. Inside your SS ring, there are also two small orings for water sealing.

Clean out all of that silicone crap, and SD makes a gasket for the pump. You have to silicone seal the three holes at top...in 96 they hadn't come out with oring seals yet.
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 06-08-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Stop Obama Express
    For the second question about that stupid black rubber piece on the driveshaft that is clamped into the boot...

It should be inside the boot and clamped in it right?

I am also browsing through the parts catalog for my seadoo and see a neoprene seal that sits inbetween the shoe and the pump.... should I order this or is it ok to seal it with some RTV/silicone since I have plenty of that laying around work?
    Last edited by 240witSR; 06-08-2008 at 05:45 PM.

I was in a hurry with my last post...was about to go somewhere!

Ok, first off...the ring is not rubber...it is carbon. It is what seals the water out by pressing against the SS ring. And yes, it should be tightly clamped inside the accordian boot with the front worm clamp.

And...on the seal- I didn't have enough time to type this previously, but go to Home Depot or Lowe's, in a A/C section there will be a roll of 2"x1/8" thick Armaflex insulation tape. Lay out about a 24" length, and cut a 1/2" wide strip with a razor blade. Gingerly install around your (now clean) sealing surface of your pump shoe/ride plate. Trim the overlap with your blade, making a perfect butt joint of them together. The whole box will cost you what one of SD's seal does. Stuff works great too...this is all I use.

You can use RTV for the three holes, (which makes it a pain to snatch the pump off next time), or...find some rubber gasket material about 1/16" thick, and cut a one piece rubber seal for all three holes. This is what I've done...works great.

Stop Obama Express
    I like what you are saying about the armaflex junk... so when installing have it perfectly join together rather than overlap right?

Ill probably just use RTV on the three upper holes too since I have so much of it. I just cant believe who ever put this pump on last, they really junked and gunked this stuff on. It is all over!!

This is the same Ski that the engine is out of and will be going back in this week... do you think I should install the pump after I get the engine in so I can check the alignment with moving the shaft in and out??

Yes, install the pump after the engine install. Use the swing method I mentioned in previous threads to align the engine.

BTW...remove that worm clamp on your VTS boot, slide the boot up exposing the groove it sits in, and dab a bit of RTV sealer there. Then zip-tie this end. Over time, SD's worm clamp method leaks or rips the boot.
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 06-09-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Stop Obama Express
    Awesome... thanks so much. Ill do that as well today.

Stop Obama Express
    Now that I am pulling my pump apart and getting the impeller out..... I am putting brand new synthetic gear oil (75w120) into the cone, i read somewhere that you are supposed to put gasket maker on the o-ring of the cone before installing, is this true? Tips are extremely welcome with this thing.

Permatex 518 gasket sealer on the cone oring. Degrease prior with carb cleaner. I also dab a bit of 518 on the plug threads also.

Stop Obama Express
    518? Is that just RTV sealant? I have alot of grey RTV left over from rebuilding my Nissan engine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information