Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Gp1200r

2002 Gp1200r

Hey guys im on the market for to buy my first ski. I riden b4 but never owned one of my own. Im looking at an 2002 GP1200R 103 hrs w/trailer cover and 2 vests. Asking price was $4300. Is a 103 hrs alot for this age ski and what should have been done maitenance wise to it. Is there anything you recomend me look for when i go look at the ski, and questions i should ask. I mean other then was it flused if used in saltwater. Ive heard of oil pump failure on the GPs? Me being a newbie id appreciate any help in the right direction and I know im probably gunna catch shit for postin a dumb thread but i got thick skin so bring it on haha.

+1

Thumbs up What I would look for in the beginning...

Hey,

Look at the Hull make sure it is not to banged up, ask a lot of questions, like do you get this ski serviced do you do it yourself etc... Ask if there are any mods. Look at all the cables (throttle,oil,PV's,steering,trim). Test ride it to see how it handles. Look at the rear of the ski and check out ride plate and even look into the shoe to check out the impeller to make sure if it is in good shape. If you see gouges, burning or flaking of metal not a good sign. I would check the plugs and even do a compression check if the seller does not mind. If he does well you can figure that out.
    There is more but that should get you started. Keep us posted and good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Hey,

Look at the Hull make sure it is not to banged up, ask a lot of questions, like do you get this ski serviced do you do it yourself etc... Ask if there are any mods. Look at all the cables (throttle,oil,PV's,steering,trim). Test ride it to see how it handles. Look at the rear of the ski and check out ride plate and even look into the shoe to check out the impeller to make sure if it is in good shape. If you see gouges, burning or flaking of metal not a good sign. I would check the plugs and even do a compression check if the seller does not mind. If he does well you can figure that out.
    There is more but that should get you started. Keep us posted and good luck...
    Thanks for the help, i'll keep you posted

As for 103 hrs on a 2002 is that alot, average, low? Also aside from the normal maitenance, should the ski have had any type of service done at a certain amount of hours. For example do they need topend rebuilds like 2 stroke dirtbikes, etc? Thanks

i have a 2000 gp and a 103 hrs is average, maybe low for that year ski. I have a 2000 and have 99 hrs on it. When you go look at the ski, do yourself a favor, check the compression(dont let the owner tell you no), pull the throttle back countless times and make sure it snaps back with eaze nice and fast, and pull the choke too, and make sure when you put the choke back in the cable is nice and tight in there.

The reason I say this is, these bikes were design stupidly in that the carbs are on the bottom, and water can reach them easily. If the bike wasnt kept up or one day didnt put the plugs in you could have an issue that is very costly in the future.

Also with that amount of hrs, only if god loved the owner would he still have the stock cat in there. Ask if he has had the dplate installed, b/c the cat WILL fail on these bikes and usually before 100 hrs. UMMM besides that do what ramps said, and check the steering cables and all that good stuff.

Ive been told that these motors are good to about 160-200 hrs, so Id say offer him a little less and see if he takes it, granted making sure EVERYTHING is working properly.

OH and if you do get it, 2 mods that you must gets, waveeater clips, and d plate w/ chip. Besides that your on your own for what you want mod wise, but if you want reliability thats all your gonna need.

+1

Thumbs up Hours??

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoG View Post
    As for 103 hrs on a 2002 is that alot, average, low? Also aside from the normal maitenance, should the ski have had any type of service done at a certain amount of hours. For example do they need topend rebuilds like 2 stroke dirtbikes, etc? Thanks
    I have seen ski's with 300 hours on them and more. It is all in how you take care of them. Yes top end rebuilds are common. My ski has 101hrs on it and I am getting ready to do a top end probably next season. For now it is still running pretty well. Good Luck MarcoG

I really apreciate all you guys help. This forum is exactly how i was told it would be, full of knowledge and helpful people.
    About the compression...does anyone know what the magic number is or what range am i looking for?
    Last edited by MarcoG; 06-09-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Im pretty sure on the gp1200r, should be around 100-120 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoG View Post
    I really apreciate all you guys help. This forum is exactly how i was told it would be, full of knowledge and helpful people.
    About the compression...does anyone know what the magic number is or what range am i looking for?
    Around 120, all guages will read a little different, your looking for consistency between all 3 cylinders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information