Hey guys, JS550 help please

hey guys...im posting this for my friend. I can't for the life of me figure out the problem here...

so my friend just recently pyrchased a 1989 JS550 jet ski...everything seemed OK. started right up, ran cool, good throttle response....so he bought it ($600)

we take it on the lake, it runs great. next weekend we ran it again, and the battery was dead...

i charged the battery up & we took it out again and it was a little sloppy on the throttle response. it would kind of bog out when you floored it...

now just recently the battery died again, so i charged it...but now it wont even turn over...it sounds like its binding. it does 1 rotation and just stops (almost like its stuck)

i switched batteries to a new one i had laying around & same response...

could it be the starter? if it was...why would this effect the performance up top? and sloppy response?

what do you guys think is the problem? im baffled.

this may be off

but is it grounded correctly?

+1
    check ground wire to the block from the battery ($8 at walmart)mine was so corroded internally that it smoked

try spinning with out the plugs inand see what happens

Thanks guys. Ill be sure to check the ground tomorrow for sure.

can that make it crank real slow/seem like it gets stuck turning over?

+1
    yes.

Try turning the shaft with just your hand. take out the spark plugs and see if you can turn it. Feel it all the way around and see if you feel a sticking point. If you do, then you have a bearing issue. it could be the crank bearings, piston needle bearing, or pump bearings.

I would:

1) Pull plugs and free spin the shaft by hand. Look listen and feel for metal on metal scrapping or rubbing
    2) If nothing, try with starter. Feel the ground wire after 10 sec of cranking. It should not be warm or hot
    3)if hear grinding or feel sticking point, pull the pump off the back
    4) Repeat 1+2
    5)If nothing seen, heard or felt, and the started will not spin it fast without the plugs in, then it is starter issue

Let us know and we will go from there

Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    yes.

Try turning the shaft with just your hand. take out the spark plugs and see if you can turn it. Feel it all the way around and see if you feel a sticking point. If you do, then you have a bearing issue. it could be the crank bearings, piston needle bearing, or pump bearings.

I would:

1) Pull plugs and free spin the shaft by hand. Look listen and feel for metal on metal scrapping or rubbing
    2) If nothing, try with starter. Feel the ground wire after 10 sec of cranking. It should not be warm or hot
    3)if hear grinding or feel sticking point, pull the pump off the back
    4) Repeat 1+2
    5)If nothing seen, heard or felt, and the started will not spin it fast without the plugs in, then it is starter issue

Let us know and we will go from there

okay guys...well i did a few things...

i cleanred the ground bolt to the engine, it was a little dirty but nothing crazy.

i then tried starting it, and she fired up, however...it lasted maybe 20 seconds before bogging out & locking up again...

i pulled both plugs out & then cranked it over...
    it turned with no problem, no locking up, no restrictions at all...

i put the plugs back in & she cranks now but shes not starting at all...

any idea here? it seems like when i relieved the compression from the block it seemed to have an easy time kicking over...now starting is another issue? or maybe the same issue?

i think from sitting overnight some pressure got released & it kicked over...but once it built up again it locked up...

i really have no clue here

+1
    If your starter was strong, you would still turn over. try removing the plugs again and see if it releases.

Maybe you need to charge your battery again or replace it.

You might also want to pull the head off and have a look a the pistons (check that, what is your compression reading)take pictures if you do this

Take a small light and look inside the plug hole. Can you see anything

Thread Information