Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RR Racing ECU vs. Riva ECU

I know it's not out yet but what are the percieved advantages and disadvantages of the two ECU's?

Our Pro-Series Racing ECU delivers a huge performance advantage to the Sea•Doo 215 Supercharged Intercooled engine. ECU is calibrated for Stage II & IIII applications and must be used with RIVA Pro Series Fuel injector Kit and 91+ octane pump fuel. Plugs directly into factory wiring harness in place of stock ECU. Key benefits include:
    • Performance Fuel Mapping: Delivers optimal fuel required for your specific level of modification (Stage II or III) based on boost pressure.
    • Performance Timing Curves: Special racing curves produce more power throughout the RPM range. Timing is automatically adjusted based on sensor input.
    • Rev Limiter Increase: Stock rev limit has been increased from 8,300 to 8,650 RPM. With our recommended pump combination, engine RPM can be run higher producing more boost pressure and horsepower.
    • Practice Key: In addition to normal "full power" key, a 60 MPH "practice" key can be programmed by BRP dealer BUDS system to limit speed for racecourse practice. ECU does not support original "learning" key mode.
    • Retains Engine Diagnostic & Primary Safety Functions:
      1) Provides diagnostic information displayed on dash instrumentation along with more detailed data through BRP dealer B.U.D.S. system.
      2) Sensor input is monitored for abnormal readings and will react by triggering warnings and/or limp mode.
    This product is for competition use only. Unit must be activated in watercraft by an authorized BRP dealer using BUDS system. Activation by RIVA Racing available with customer supplied throttle body. Installation of this racing product will void BRP factory warranty.
    RR's advantage is that you could pile on the mods (headwork, etc.) and still have safe AFR's. If ever you're not happy with just an external IC and higher boost, there is still room to upgrade.

One major advantage of the Riva ECU as I see it, is that it retains all the safety measures of the stock ECU (limp mode and warnings) in cases when it is needed. I don't know for the RR ECU.

Another would be that there is no need to strengthen the valvetrain with Riva's. But according to Riva's description, their ECU even has a higher rev limit than RR.

What do you guys think?

John

+1
    I just sent an email to Riva questioning them on the rev limit. I should have an answer very soon.

+1

So much for a 80+mph kit with no internal mods. . .

Jay

+1
    I don't know if i would call valve spring retainers an internal mod. You don't have to remove the engine, or crack the casing open, or even remove the head. Those will be real easy to install.

Besides which, If your willing to spend 6 grand for bolt ons, why would you be shy about internal engine mods anyway?

Its a part of the valvetrain so thats why I consider it "internal". . .

Im not willing to pay the $$$ for this kit, but when it first came out everyone was amazed at the speed it will be capable of without going into the engine, now they are revising the original kit so the head will hold up to the higher revs. . . thats all I was getting at.

Jay

+1
    I tried to do those retainers with out pulling the head, and there's just not enough room to use a spring compressor. I did have to pull the head to install those ,buy new bolts (as shown for the rockers) , head bolts, and a new gasket . Also while you have the springs apart get some new valve seals, and the RR spring shims to add more tension to the springs.....I did. I also topped it off with the RR lightened cam gear.

+1
    Riva will be selling their own tool that is custom made for the job of swapping out the retainers without pulling the head.

They will also use a "loan a tool" program. I too will purchase a tool to do Careys ski and will willingly loan it out to anyone that buys these retainers.

Also, the titanium springs are a bit thicker so there is no need for extra spring shims.

+1
    ahhhhhh , thicker Springs , that will do the trick. They will also need the tool to pressurize the cyl for holding the valve up. I wish I had these tools when I did mine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information