Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: glass vs. chop

glass vs. chop

Sooooooooo may threads about guys riding on glass @ top speed.....are there people out there who enjoy riding the chop and wakes and enjoy the fight? 80+ is great on a ski but on glass and strait line? Are there other people out there who are riding busy lakes and rivers and wrestling the ski all day?

+1
    Absolutely! I rarely get glass. Most of my lakes are shared with about 100 boaters a weekend. It's a real mess out there. My skis are only setup for glass when I have to go ride with the gps-number-chasers. All other times, they are setup for acceleration, and turning. Flat water is pretty boring after 10 minutes. I'd rather sit on the beach than ride flat water.

But, have you ever tried to QUALIFY what speeds you have run in rough water? How did you measure it? How big was the waves? How bad was the wind? Smooth water provides folks with a measuring stick, that pretty much takes the rider ability, and local conditions out of it. Of course if you ride at 5000ft, or in 100deg-muggy weather, it all changes too.

+1
    love the chop and the swells, ocean riding all the way...
    these new skis cant jump for a damn, i miss my old X-4
    its fun to carve around in some smooth water for a while but every ride i end up in the inlets or the open ocean, lookin for the perfect waves to jump.
    top speed is boring, i rather have sick holeshot and lose 5mph topspeed.
    65 mph is fast enough for me. i wish the new skis were lighter and more playful...

+1
    65mph is very, very, very fast in 2ft waves. Anyone that actually knows what that means will understand. A few of the new supercruisers are damn near 65mph in the 2ft and above stuff. They are scary fast, smooth, and predictable. The Ultra 250 is by far the best rough water craft I've ever ridden. It's a damn caddy in the rough stuff. Amazing hull really. They did their homework for the nasty water. It's more boring than this whole paragraph in the smooth water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    love the chop and the swells, ocean riding all the way...
    these new skis cant jump for a damn, i miss my old X-4
    its fun to carve around in some smooth water for a while but every ride i end up in the inlets or the open ocean, lookin for the perfect waves to jump.
    top speed is boring, i rather have sick holeshot and lose 5mph topspeed.
    65 mph is fast enough for me. i wish the new skis were lighter and more playful...
    +1. I hope I never have to get rid of my X-4!

Being dragged kicking and screaming into 1997 afcblink's Avatar
    I know I'm the only person left in the world who likes the Waveblaster II, but I love the fact that I can go out on choppy or glass-smooth water and have equal fun either way. I don't get over 45 MPH or so (see sig), but I don't really care.

+1
    On Saturday I was on misson bay in San Diego and the wind was kicking hard... at least 30mph. I was riding with Dubz who has a 250x. The waves were a good 2-3 foot chop... his 250x was handling it like nothing... I was so impressed by that ski. Here I am on my rxp getting tossed around like crazy and he is just cruising through the chop. I topped out at 70mph and let me tell ya with that chop it is quite hard to hold on. The 250x was doing a good 65. Kawi sure did their homework on that ski, now they just need to fix the oil in the gas problem.

I also ride in mostly chop, glassy water is very boring.... I let my friend try my RXT-X yesterday and I took his XP for a ride, it was much slower, but a lot more fun jumping!!!!

+1
    Glass is fun on the way back to the docks, but during the day I prefer to go Weeeeee as much as possible.
    Chop/Swells/Breakers for the win.

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    from a grunt drag racing nothing like having a good 1/2 mile of pure glass...

but! busting chop and jumping waves is fantastic... i know you boys won't believe me but i was jumping 4' waves the other day here in the Texas Panhandle... talk about a blast... 45mph winds steady out of the southwest with 65 mph gusts... our lake lies SW-NE so the swells get BIG

its enjoyable considering no one else is stupid enough to be out in it, so the whole lake is mine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information