Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

How long can you run the radio before the boat wont start?

How long can you run the radio before the boat wont start?
    This may be a dumb question, but we were docked this passed weekend and since the wake has the tower speaker everyone wanted me to paly music. Well the boat is off and radio playing. After about an hour I started to think well what if i kill the battery.
    So how long before it will kill the battery?

i saw a post some where that said they had it on for like 4 hours and it was fine

+1
    I would think since the key is off and its just more or less the radio and speakers i would go awhile.
    I want to hear from a person who has gone too long so I know not to go that long. LOL

I would suggest you do what I and others have done here and install a second battery. Then you can let her thump as long as you want without worry.

Are the towered speakers powered by an amp? I think with the stock radio, speakers, and battery, you'd be able to go for half the day with no problem, but add an amp & sub, and it's really going to task the stock battery down to dangerous levels in 60 to 90 minutes. I just put in a 600w amp/10" sub and beached it at an island all day with the stereo about full blast. At least every 30-45 minutes, I was out giving people rides, but probably let it sit for 90 minutes like that at the end of the day, and had to get towed back. It's two batteries for me, from now on.

If you find yourself unable to start after blasting the stereo, turn off the main battery switch, and let it rest for about 30 minutes. The battery could recover enough to let you start after that time. I was able to start after being towed for a while.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cfnnslsq View Post
    I would suggest you do what I and others have done here and install a second battery. Then you can let her thump as long as you want without worry.
    Do you have any pics or a write up? I did this on my truck for the same reason so I was already thinking about doing it. I would just like to see how you guys mounted the second battery, and what did you use, blue top optima?

....and this is what I did. Make sure you read until the end for the solution....

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59988

Its not quite as fancy as spd5535 but just as effective if you are prudent enough to remember to run the switch in either 1 or 2 position not both.
    The beauty of his setup is that it will automatically charge either battery if it needs it. My setup requires manual intervention.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spd5535 View Post
    So from what i see in these threads, I can get away with adding a second battery for the radio/amp and all I would need is the "Add A Battery" system for $93? and a blue top...

Do you need to buy the fuse block? or neg bar?
    Last edited by twinturbostang; 06-09-2008 at 01:23 PM.

+1
    That switch bolts right in where the other one was?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information