Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Got 10 full minutes on my new 1200 before it quit running

Ran great for what little time I got to use it but then died right in the middle of the river. We couldn't do much from the river bank but we checked the fuel filter and made sure the carbs were getting fuel. Put 3 new plugs in and it started back up but wouldn't rev over a couple thousand RPM's and then eventually died. Pulled the wires from each cylinder one at a time and it would still start so it doesn't look like any kind of motor damage. What do I look at next?

+1
    When you say new 1200, do you mean new to you so it's a used watercraft? or is the engine like brand new? If used, how many hours are on it?...might of had a mild engine seizure...so damage has been done even though it still starts. I would take the heads off and take a look at everything. If all looks good then I would go to the carbs next...may need a rebuild or just a good cleaning.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Download the Service Manual closest to your model and year.

Check compression, and look at the diagnostics sections in the manual.

Are there any warnings on the MFD display?

A little bit of both, new to me but the motor may as well be new. If its blown already then I'm done with it, my buddy pulled his old '94 XP out from under his deck and it fired right up and ran great all day while mine has been in a heated garage all winter. No warnings, no lights, just quit running and ruined what should have been a great day of riding.

+1
    Is the engine new then? or how many hours on it? I see black deck and a jet works valve so 2001 SLX? If that's a jet works valve, did you open it and loosen the ball after it had sat all winter? If the ball was stuck, you may have over heated the engine and had a mild seizure.

P.S. just saw your avatar...2001 SLX.
    Last edited by 32DegH2O; 06-09-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Yeah, its a 2001 SLX. The MFD reads 19 hours but I know it has to have more than that on it even though the motor is so clean it looks like it has barely been used. The motor was cool to the touch and the temperature light never came on.
    Last edited by kmartin173; 06-09-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kmartin173 View Post
    A little bit of both, new to me but the motor may as well be new. If its blown already then I'm done with it...
    No warnings, no lights, just quit running and ruined what should have been a great day of riding.
    The first time you run a PWC, especially one that is new to you, you need to not assume everything is going to be OK.

You're friend's XP could also have had a surprise waiting for him. Happy to hear it didn't but the first ride of the season is when many PWC get into trouble.
    'Ran great last year, broke down or damaged the engine this year' seems to be a common story.

Checking the spark plug condition after a few minutes of riding is a good thing, in case the carbs are not working as they should (which is common after storage, heated or otherwise). Checking for water leaks, proper cooling, etc are all good first ride checks.

How many hours ARE on the engine?

+1
    Did you loosen the ball on the jet works valve before riding it? You can still get heat damage even though the engine feels cool...touching the engine doesn't always tell you what's going on inside the cylinder.
    Last edited by 32DegH2O; 06-09-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The first time you run a PWC, especially one that is new to you, you need to not assume everything is going to be OK.

You're friend's XP could also have had a surprise waiting for him. Happy to hear it didn't but the first ride of the season is when many PWC get into trouble.
    'Ran great last year, broke down or damaged the engine this year' seems to be a common story.

Checking the spark plug condition after a few minutes of riding is a good thing, in case the carbs are not working as they should (which is common after storage, heated or otherwise). Checking for water leaks, proper cooling, etc are all good first ride checks.

How many hours ARE on the engine?
    I took it for a nice long wide-open test drive before I bought it, ran great then and for a while when I finally got to take it out here and I wasn't running it nearly as hard as when I test-rode it. Its been started numerous times over the winter/spring to try to ensure there would be no surprises when I finally took it out. I guess I'm just amazed at how hard we ran our used XP's last year and we didn't so much as have to change a spark plug on them and this one which looks brand new didn't last 10 minutes. Frustrating to say the least.

The motor is bone-stock, nothing from Jetworks on it that I know of. Are there any other known issues on these motors, CDI problems?, etc., etc?
    Last edited by kmartin173; 06-09-2008 at 09:17 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kmartin173 View Post
    The motor is bone-stock, nothing from Jetworks on it that I know of. Are there any other known issues on these motors, CDI problems?, etc., etc?
    The jet works valve is the red module on the waterline coming off the top of the exhaust pipe...I see it at the very top of your picture. Since you are unaware you have it, then I presume you didn't loosen the ball in it. So I'm willing to bet you had a small engine seizure and have damaged the engine/pistons.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information