RXP-X issue: bogging down

Well, after a few minor issues; improper storage latch, loose battery terminal, and SC hose coming off, I seem to be having something else now. Maybe related to another loose hose, and I'll check tonight. Anyhow, was out yesterday and ski ran great all day. On my last run the RPM's seem to suddenly top off at 7k, and then go back to 8k. Also from time to time it would sputter out of the hole (hope that makes sense). Thought maybe the SC outlet hose came off again but I could not hear the SC whine as loud as it was before when that hose came off. So maybe it is a different hose this time causing a boost leak somewhere. Now I bought a bunch of t-clamps, but (and kick myself now) did not install them yet. Anyone think this could be anything other then a loose hose?
    As to the number of things that have gone wrong.....all minor, and lesson learned. Never assume your dealer does anything other then put the damn boat on the trailor for you! I should have checked all these things before ever going out. Just they charge a few hundred for prep, but I guess that means washing it down with a hose before you pick it up.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by North49 View Post
    Well, after a few minor issues; improper storage latch, loose battery terminal, and SC hose coming off, I seem to be having something else now. Maybe related to another loose hose, and I'll check tonight. Anyhow, was out yesterday and ski ran great all day. On my last run the RPM's seem to suddenly top off at 7k, and then go back to 8k. Also from time to time it would sputter out of the hole (hope that makes sense). Thought maybe the SC outlet hose came off again but I could not hear the SC whine as loud as it was before when that hose came off. So maybe it is a different hose this time causing a boost leak somewhere. Now I bought a bunch of t-clamps, but (and kick myself now) did not install them yet. Anyone think this could be anything other then a loose hose?
    As to the number of things that have gone wrong.....all minor, and lesson learned. Never assume your dealer does anything other then put the damn boat on the trailor for you! I should have checked all these things before ever going out. Just they charge a few hundred for prep, but I guess that means washing it down with a hose before you pick it up.
    Only time I've had sputtering out of the hole was when I had a leaky intercooler Since yours is new let's hope not.... How about your gas, is it new or old?

Gas was new, 94 oactane, but then again with high gas prices maybe it was sitting a while at the gas station . Don't see too many people filling up with high octane these days.
    No water in the hull or build up of exhaust, so I don't think the exhaust was leaking. I'll rip into it tonight and hopefully find out fo sure what it is.

+1
    We all really have to watch buying high test gas. It will go bad if it sits in the ground. Mercury Marine recommends that people DO NOT use it as the quality is not good these days.
    If you do buy it make sure it is from a busy station where there is some turnover in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by BOATADDICT View Post
    We all really have to watch buying high test gas. It will go bad if it sits in the ground. Mercury Marine recommends that people DO NOT use it as the quality is not good these days.
    If you do buy it make sure it is from a busy station where there is some turnover in the tank.
    i work for valero refinery, and i can tell you our 93 octane beats the standard government regulations, our own valero regulations(which is higher than even shell) and everyone else's...so high octane is still just fine!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxp-x78410 View Post
    i work for valero refinery, and i can tell you our 93 octane beats the standard government regulations, our own valero regulations(which is higher than even shell) and everyone else's...so high octane is still just fine!
    Mercury's point was that the quality of the gas is not as good now as it used to be. They said the chemicals used to get the high octane would not last more than a week out of the pump.I wasn't saying all high octane gas was bad but we need to be careful where we buy it.

Thread Information