Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! GPR middle piston with hole. need advice.

Hi everybody, i'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a 2003 GPR1300 that i bought used at the end of last season. it had about 35hrs., since then i've put another ten hours on the machine. on memorial day i had it out and all of a sudden it lost power. got it back to the dock and finally had time last weekend to pop the head off and find out what was going on. middle cylinder has a large hole that is right off of the power valve, i think the piston might have hit the valve. i'm thinking the best thing to do is to order a sbt rebuilt and just drop that in there. would any of you experts out there concur? or should i just rebuild the top end? i've attached a photo of the damage, if any body has any ideas of what might have caused this, i'm all ears. thanks in advance for taking a look at my problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2948.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	76923  

Looks like a power valve failure. You should tear it down and make sure nothing else got damaged. You might be able to get a new top end kit. Search for power valve and you will see that it is a very common problem.

Thanks for the reply Darren. Should i take it all the way down to the crank? is it possible i did lower end damage? also, is it possible or does any body know anywhere i can get just the one cylinde and piston? by the time i buy the top end rebuild kit and other assorted parts i feel like i'm fast approaching the cost of an entire rebuilt engine. any and all advice is much appreciated.

+1
    Yes you better have the crank checked out. All that heat, debris, and blow bye goes right into the crank bearings. Sucks but IMO you better go through the entire motor.

I agree with WFO^

As far as one new cly, you might as well do all 3 if its just a top end issue. I think complete top end kits can be found on ebay for the 350-550 dollar range. If it was me, i would do a new top end, convert to premix (if not already), search for waveeater and do those (prevents this form happening again), and double/triple check the bottom end.
    Last edited by darren94; 06-09-2008 at 03:55 PM.

+1
    -That cylinder can be sent to Millenium or US Chrome to be repaired
    -New piston, 3 ring sets, piston pin and bearing
    -De-glaze other 2 cyls (send out with damaged cylinder)
    -Send crank to Crankworks to be checked, trued and welded
    -New crank seals
    -New gaskets (update headgasket to 05 newer model)
    -Waveeater kit
    -D-plate
    -Perform other wish-list mods while apart

= Ride it and dont have to worry anymore

All great suggestions and much appreciated. What do you guys think about the sbt rebuilt motor? is it worth the 2g's to start with a rebuilt, add the waveeaters, d plate etc.? I'm not sure how much I would spend on having the original parts repaired and the 2 year warranty seems like some nice peace of mind. I'm not trying to be overly cheap about it but i def. don't see myself doing extensive engine upgrades in the future, probably just bolt on type stuff like ride plate, intake grate, impeller. (i think the ski is fast enough out of the box)

+1
    SBT sleeves there GPR motors and reduces the compression hoping it will last the warranty period. The warranty does not cover down time and labor of removing/replacing shipping and such. Its your call but the resale with a SBT motor is far less than OEM. Is your cylinder scored up??

Yeah, it's pretty scored opposite the damage to the piston. when the rings let go i think they dug in pretty good. i'll go take a photo and post in a minute.

+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information