Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 Virage 700 NO POWER!!!

It runs fine but will not rev past 5000 rpm's. This bike is one of those barn finds, I bought it in January and just now getting to ride it. It only had 1 hour on it when I bought it. I already rebuilt the carb and flushed the fuel tank and lines. It is almost like it is in some sort of limp mode. Does anybody have any idea? Thanks for you time.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Are you seeing and red light or warning message on the display?
    Reverse?

Will it rev past 5,000 out of the water?
    Be careful here, high revving out of the water is not good for the drive shaft or jet pump bearings, so don't over rev it!

Have you tested it in the water?
    When it hits the 5,000RPM level, is it fairly smooth running at that RPM, or jerky, like hitting a rev limiter?
    Last edited by K447; 06-09-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Yes I did rev it out of the water and it hits the rev limiter. I think that is somewhere around 8000? No warning lights, the only wierd thing going on is the battery voltage is reading 17v when your on the throttle. I have ran it a couple of times in the water. Its real boggy till you hit about 10mph then it when go to 5000rpm and level off at about 28-30mph. The motor never seems to mis though, its pretty smooth.'
    No reverse lights until you put it reverse, Of course.
    Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by roscodop View Post
    Yes I did rev it out of the water and it hits the rev limiter. I think that is somewhere around 8000?
    No warning lights, the only weird thing going on is the battery voltage is reading 17v when your on the throttle.
    I have ran it a couple of times in the water. Its real boggy till you hit about 10mph then it when go to 5000rpm and level off at about 28-30mph.
    The motor never seems to mis though, its pretty smooth.
    No reverse lights until you put it reverse, Of course...
    17 volts on the display, or at the battery posts with a multi-meter?

Check the electrical grounds and related connections.
    Check the engine end of the heavy battery negative cable. Corrosion, loose?

Thats what it says on the display. I will check on the connections but everything is pretty clean. Do you think the voltage could have something to do with it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by roscodop View Post
    Thats what it says on the display. I will check on the connections but everything is pretty clean.
    Do you think the voltage could have something to do with it?
    If the electrical system is not stable, all kinds of weird things can happen. A loose or intermittent connection can give you crazy diagnostics with the vibration of the engine, so you need to be sure that isn't part of your problem.

Check the grounds especially. They can look OK on the outside, but have corrosion underneath, and in the bolt threads.

From the battery negative post (the actual post) to the engine block should be a solid zero ohms. It should stay at zero, even if you wiggle the cables, or start the engine.

Same thing from the red/purple wire in the electrical system to the battery positive post - zero ohms. (Disconnect the battery negative for this test).

Any other ideas? Everything checked out ok. I cleaned every connection I could find. Still no power. Is there anything is the electrical box that could cause it not rev?

Ok, I spent the morning working on this problem. I found that the back cylinder is not firing. I have spark, I have compression, the spark plug is wet but it doesn't fire. The spark is good out of the cylinder, nice and blue. I can't tell you exact compression but it feels the same as the other cylinder with your thumb on it. I took the intake of and checked the reeds. I switched them from one side to the other just in case. When I pulled the plugs out for the first time the back one looked brand new, this plug has 4 hours on it. You can start is with only the front cylinder plug wire on. If you put the back one on and take the front on off it won't hit a lick. I even took the head off just to make sure the piston looked good. Ofcourse it did. I have no idea what's going on here. I am an auto mechanic so I know the basics of what it takes but this one has me baffeled.

Thank you

Another thing I can switch the plug wires and it doesn't make difference. It only fires the front cylinder. Timing issue????

+1
    Verify compression.
    By thumb 50 and 120 feel relatively the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information