Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1

Pump shoe installation without alignment tool?

Am i crazy to think since my engine has never been out yet that i can use the pump/driveshaft/carbon seal/floating ring/to dry fit and align my pump shoe? I know it wouldn't be as accurate as the tool but maybe pretty close by using the relationship of the floating ring to carbon seal. I'm trying to get this thing in this week.

i think your sig says it all man. do it right...do it once.

+1
    I do not believe that you would ever get it correct without the alignment tool. When I changed my pump shoe, the number of shims and placement was totally different than the original setup. As thin as the shims are I do not believe you would be able to see the changes without the tool.

As much as the job sucks I would not chance it, use the tool and do it correct the first time.

Banned User
    +1
    I pulled the pump shoe off my hull, cleaned up the area, installed a new pump shoe DRY and it was WAY off...I had it in/out atleast 7-8 times getting the right sized shims to line it up on the hole (no rubber boot)...When I dropped the motor in, I had to bring it up a lot more than I thought...But after getting it right, it was aligned straight and true...When I put the boot/carbon ring on, it was crooked compared to the shaft...it lined up AFTER I installed the shaft completely...

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Yeah thats what i figured. I need to get ahold of an alignment tool. I haven't ridden in ages and it's so easy to just say te hell with it and slap it in and ride but no doubt i do sweat the details and this is larger than just a detail. There is a reason why i clocked over 70 on freemods and i'm hunting 75 without an ECU. The right way is never the easy way.

+1
    If the shoe is not aligned properly with the motor will it affect top speed? I just had the dealer replace my shoe and went to the lake today. My rpms were about 8300 but the fastest I could get was 75mph. I am wondering if shoe alignment could be the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    If the shoe is not aligned properly with the motor will it affect top speed? I just had the dealer replace my shoe and went to the lake today. My rpms were about 8300 but the fastest I could get was 75mph. I am wondering if shoe alignment could be the culprit.
    That's a big possibility Aha. That alignment is critical in our skis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1156.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	571.1 KB 
ID:	77066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1157.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	593.8 KB 
ID:	77067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1155.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	666.9 KB 
ID:	77068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1158.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	690.8 KB 
ID:	77069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 1159.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	564.0 KB 
ID:	77070  

Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime View Post
    Yeah thats what i figured. I need to get ahold of an alignment tool. I haven't ridden in ages and it's so easy to just say te hell with it and slap it in and ride but no doubt i do sweat the details and this is larger than just a detail. There is a reason why i clocked over 70 on freemods and i'm hunting 75 without an ECU. The right way is never the easy way.
    I think Jerry's got one floating around from one GH member to another. Not sure, I just saw a post of him looking for the tool? Don't cut corners on this subject. The tool realy works and it's realy Critical you get a good alignment Good Luck

+1
    you guys are killin me. MORE work to do.

Okay, when do i need to do this.. when i replace the carbon ring ? wear ring? what is the pump shoe.. the plate on the back that the pump bolts too? the pump tunnel? what is it..(riva parts finder number is okay reference if you know it).

day-um. One of these days I'd like to ride the thing.

thank you though.

Banned User
    +1
    I actually pickd up the alignment tool per Jerry's recommendation, from SBT, its only $150 plus shipping...Comes with all the templates and parts for all year Doo's...After swapping my motor, its worth EVERY PENNY!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information