Stage one kit's first ride, need help

So after my rock incident I just installed my stage one riva kit today and went out on the river.

My first impression was that the ski has a lot more pop. My biggest concern though is that I experienced a lot of porpoiseing, especially at hole shot.

Two concerns about the install. I installed the wedge and the steering extension, I cannot get the steering aligned. I have the rods screwed all the way in and I still have a little left turn dialed in with the handlebars straight.

Secondly, I realized half way through the ride that I had forgot to install the nose cone that came with the new solas prop. I plan to take the pump back off tomorrow and clean out any water and re grease. Will I have any issues with having the steel cone off for a 2 hour ride?

Other then that I am very impressed with the kit, the SC sounds mean with the open intake. Hit 70mph with my girlfriend on the back! Will see how it does with me solo later in the week.

-Ryan

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by rdm190 View Post
    So after my rock incident I just installed my stage one riva kit today and went out on the river.

My first impression was that the ski has a lot more pop. My biggest concern though is that I experienced a lot of porpoiseing, especially at hole shot.

Two concerns about the install. I installed the wedge and the steering extension, I cannot get the steering aligned. I have the rods screwed all the way in and I still have a little left turn dialed in with the handlebars straight.

Secondly, I realized half way through the ride that I had forgot to install the nose cone that came with the new solas prop. I plan to take the pump back off tomorrow and clean out any water and re grease. Will I have any issues with having the steel cone off for a 2 hour ride?

Other then that I am very impressed with the kit, the SC sounds mean with the open intake. Hit 70mph with my girlfriend on the back! Will see how it does with me solo later in the week.

-Ryan
    You mean you have alot of caviation, did you change out your wear ring?
    No biggie on the nose cone, alot of guys don't run them anyway.. I hear you gain .5 mph

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    You mean you have alot of caviation, did you change out your wear ring?
    No biggie on the nose cone, alot of guys don't run them anyway.. I hear you gain .5 mph

Alex
    I did change the ring, and it does not seem like cavitation at all. The boat gets into "hoping" fits and takes some throttle to control it or I just had to slow down.

I am very familiar with cavitation because of my rock issues, and that was completely gone. There is not "rrrrrrr, rrrrrrr, rrrrrr" noise anymore.
    Last edited by rdm190; 06-09-2008 at 08:26 PM.

+1
    Trim all the way down and if that doesn't cure it then lean over the handlebars. No nose cone is fine. It's the plastic green cone on the back of the pump with grease in it that needs to be on there. There's a how-to in the tech tips section by Shibby on steering. It shows how to adjust it from the front. With the wedge it seems to me as well that the steering is always off a little.

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    Trim all the way down and if that doesn't cure it then lean over the handlebars. No nose cone is fine. It's the plastic green cone on the back of the pump with grease in it that needs to be on there. There's a how-to in the tech tips section by Shibby on steering. It shows how to adjust it from the front. With the wedge it seems to me as well that the steering is always off a little.
    lol, well my trim was up nose high so maybe that caused it.

The big nose cone that greases the bearings is in place.

it sounds like got it.i got a brand new stage 3 charger i are ready for more boost 11.7 out of riva stage 3 charger 06 model.

Quote Originally Posted by rdm190 View Post

-Ryan
    Hi mate,

Me and a mate installed 2 degree wedges on our skis as well and had the same problem with the steering. We had to stuff around with the adjustments at the front of the ski. Its pretty easy to do.

Good Luck.

Thread Information