Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Pump to IC strainer hose blew

Hose blew right open and caused a constant H-temp beep. As I idled to shore water was pouring into my hull and I also didn't realize until a little later that it was pouring through my supercharger. I tried to nail the throttle so I could beach the ski and not sink but it stalled (water is not a source of fuel for the RXP in case nobody realized). I had to use the whistle to get 2 guys over to help me pull the ski completely out of the water and drain it.

I got towed back (thanks JacRae), brought it home. I then dismantled the ski. A good 15+ ounces of water came out of the intercooler. Not much in the throttle body. Some is visible on the top of the cylinders. Oil is not milky. I'm hoping I lucked out. We'll see soon. I don't think I'll be attending Mudbug with this event occurring and my conversion ski has no compression in 1 cylinder.

I'm almost certain the cause was a missing yellow thrust washer. It was gone one time after pulling the pump so I used a temporary washer. I guess it built up too much pressure and blew right through the hose. The weird thing was that after 10 minutes of riding it hit 4800 rpms and wouldn't go anywhere (first sign of trouble). I shut off the ski, started it back up and it went fine for another 5 minutes while I blasted down the water going 70+. When it happened the 2nd time the hose finally gave.

Now I have a trailer with 20K+ of junk. Even the trailer has problems.

Lesson learned. Only use Seadoos damn thrust washers and don't ever mod your ski or it will blow up constantly.

+1
    James, sorry to here of your bad luck. I am glad you were able to get the ski back on trailer with some help. There could have not been any one arround so could have been worse.
    Keep that head up, as i bet you will have your ski back running in no time.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I'm trying to remember what a wise man once said. Something about changing the SC washers and leaving the ski stock and enoying riding it.

Bummer!! Check the bilge pump thread...you may need one again!!

+1
    Yes Larry, I definitely need a bilge pump! This is the 2nd or 3rd time my ski has filled up pretty high.

Rodney, I believe that was Shibby that said that? Very wise indeed!

Thanks Steve for the hope on getting it back up and running.

And thanks Super Steve from Chicago for volunteering his yellow thrust washer for implantation in my ski until next time I blow up (assuming that the engine still works).

+1
    That sucks! I hope you get it up and running soon. Guess them thrust washers are pretty darn important.

They are not thrust washers. They are restictor washers to restrict the flow of water from the jet pump to the intercooler.
    T C

+1
    I knew it restricted flow, just didn't know the proper name (reducer disc). I replaced it with something similar and ran it for about 40 minutes. But as you can see it didn't function quite the same. I just returned from picking up 8 quarts of oil and I'm still hoping for the best.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    I knew it restricted flow, just didn't know the proper name (reducer disc). I replaced it with something similar and ran it for about 40 minutes. But as you can see it didn't function quite the same. I just returned from picking up 8 quarts of oil and I'm still hoping for the best.
    at least it blew the hose and not the ic.

Shitty. I know how it feels....well not the Mudbug part, but I was down for the whole month of July and the first week of August last year waiting for my pump to be rebuilt. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you don't lose out on as much ride time as I did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information