Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXP-X turbo build, X return style fuel system

Went ahead and decided to do the turbo build on the X instead of spending the money twice on blower mods then changing my mind and going turbo. First order of biz was to get the fuel system up to par, got rid of the internal regulator and fabbed up my own system with a Aeromotive regulator and a Mallory fuel rail (made for a 302 FI mustang, the injectors locations are a perfect match.) I also added a voltage conditioner that allows for fine tuning on the fly to compensate for weather conditions and such, it will allow me to change the rail pressure 2-3 pounds at any time. Got my open loop kit from jerry, and Jim just finished up my rideplate so those two things will be the next things going on this week. The turbo is on the way, so hopefully I'll have everything finished up within the next couple months. Hopefully before I make any real power someone will fighure out how to keep these things on the water...

Banned User
    Nice

+1
    Who makes the voltage conditioner? How will it raise pressure with an external regulator? Are you planning on overdriving the return line? Basically using a small return line as a regulator. I just want to understand what you have in mind.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    Who makes the voltage conditioner? How will it raise pressure with an external regulator? Are you planning on overdriving the return line? Basically using a small return line as a regulator. I just want to understand what you have in mind.

Jason
    It basically increases voltage to the pump, on pulse width modulated fuel systems you can use it as a band aid for too small a pump, which is what its used for most of the time. On return style systems it basically will on command overdrive the pump which will increase flow and in a system with a small regulator and return line, start to slightly raise pressure because the regulator can't completely compensate with the extra flow. Its good for 2-3 pounds and is set on a boost switch for 5 psi, so no matter what happens its only gonna come on at WOT, and thats only if its needed.

+1
    do a search for "kenne bell boost-a-pump"

+1
    trust me I completely understand the BAP and returnless versus return style fuel systems and all band aids or methods used to get adequate fuel volume. I really wanted to know if you were really planning on flooding the regulator return line and artificially raising pressure that way by overdriving the fuel pump. I just had to ask in a way to get the answer.

I went a different route, but very similar concept I used an oversized line because I wanted the regulator to completely control pressure. I just did not see things I liked out of the intank fuel regulator. Kawasaki, but still very similar.

Sam, I recognize your name from the mustang forums and one thing I have found out over the last year. "Because you run it on water the physics does not change, if it works on a fuel injected 4-stroke car engine it will work on a fuel injected 4-stroke pwc engine."

Thanks for your replies.

7. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    trust me I completely understand the BAP and returnless versus return style fuel systems and all band aids or methods used to get adequate fuel volume. I really wanted to know if you were really planning on flooding the regulator return line and artificially raising pressure that way by overdriving the fuel pump. I just had to ask in a way to get the answer.

I went a different route, but very similar concept I used an oversized line because I wanted the regulator to completely control pressure. I just did not see things I liked out of the intank fuel regulator. Kawasaki, but still very similar.

Sam, I recognize your name from the mustang forums and one thing I have found out over the last year. "Because you run it on water the physics does not change, if it works on a fuel injected 4-stroke car engine it will work on a fuel injected 4-stroke pwc engine."

Thanks for your replies.
    No problem, I just wanted something very simple that could add some ease to fine tuning for different conditions, etc... I see your point about the pwc to car world. This is just alot of fun for me, the thing thats cool is that I know how to get the power in the boat, i just have no idea how to get it to go anywhere once its made...

Quote Originally Posted by 9secZO6 View Post
    do a search for "kenne bell boost-a-pump"
    oh god no, jim would have a heart attack if he knew that someone had something similar to what he pretends to have come up with himself. mercury magnetics actually makes this box, and it wasn't designed for what we all use it for.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    No problem, I just wanted something very simple that could add some ease to fine tuning for different conditions, etc... I see your point about the pwc to car world. This is just alot of fun for me, the thing thats cool is that I know how to get the power in the boat, i just have no idea how to get it to go anywhere once its made...
    The same problem I had/have. I know how to make the power and I know where to look for extra power. I just am having to learn a completely new drive system and way of getting speed.
    Last edited by spaulding; 06-10-2008 at 04:56 AM.

+1
    Which turbo did you choose?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information