Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Please help I am going to go nuts

I have a 98 XPL I am going to pull my hair out. The ski ran but only for a couple minutes then rpms dropped would not go. THen it would only turn about 4500. I swapped the carbs out with stock ones from my 98 GSXL etc, replaced fuel lines eliminated the switch etc etc. Ski ran OK that day no bottom end but ran OK top. Put stock carbs back on next day with rejet Pro K filters new springs etc. It would run great got 60 out of it but would only run wide open. If I let off it would bog and not run over 4500 RPMS. Shut it off wait 1 minute and start it goes good 6650 RPMS to the handle bar the minute you let off would not pull back up again back down to 4500 and each time you shut it off and wait it would run good to the handle bar. Pulled the carbs off put the ones from the GSXL back on with jets filters and springs also found springs where missing from Raves so I used the ones from the GSXL and the selenoid from the GSXL. Now it ran great for about10 minutes and it is doing it again. was turning 6700 now back to 5000 feels like it is skipping farting not going. Plugs look decent all the time wet if you let it idle in to shore. So now thinking it might be electrical I pulled the coil from the GSXL and I am going to try that tomorrow. THe GSXL ran good so I am pretty sure the parts are all good. The last part I am looking at is the MPEM. Has anyone ever heard of a MPEM acting like this or maybe a coil? Will the MPEM from the GSXL work in the XPL? This sucks so bad I just keep spending and nothing seems to help.

+1
    I still don't have my CDI It's been what 8 months???
    This is your last chance to return it....

ttt

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    Pull gas cap off if you get your RPM back you have "BUGS" in your fuel vent and check for leaking exhaust

Cool thats an easy check thank you I hadnt thought of that. Thanks. About the leaking exhaust, What am I looking for. How much will it effect the performance? I did plug the t2 holes in the front of the hull that aer plugged on the 99's?

+1
    if you lose rpm and pull seat and your RPM come back you have a exhaust leak, but you can see it in the hull

I am getting some exhaust smoke in the hull I didnt think it would affect it that much. Where do they normally leak from

+1
    Exhaust leaks are the #1 power robber in a jetski engine,because its carbon monoxide, engines like oxygen just like humans.

If you see exhaust smoke then you got a leak,trying to tune around it aint gonna work.

+1
    rubber couplers on exhaust most likely have a hole, or clams slipped
    but if you can see it that's your problem

+1
    check that your 3 bolts and nut between the headpipe and exhaust manifold are tight. if your supports for the pipe are not in properly, the pipe will vibrate and eventually break where it mates to the manifold. i've had this happen to me already. the main support bolt for the pipe was not installed properly. had a bog around 5000 rpms and noticed some water leaking on the engine. since i ride in rougher conditions, i thought that it was just water getting into the hull. i didn't notice the exhaust leak until i rev'd the engine to 5000 rpms on the trailer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information