2001 polaris genesis, OVERHEAT

I read up on this some thought I would ask for some input before I start to try to fix the problem. The ski has 43 hours on it put in a new battery and took it out this past weekend. If I kept the rpm's below 5,000 I had no problem but if I ran it wide open the engine over heat light would come on and the computer would over ride the system and the ski would idel down and then you could go again with no problem just had to stay under 5,000 rpm's the ski has not been in the water or ran for 2 years. I had it out 2 times for about 2 hours. No water in the bottom of the ski checked all the hose to make sure none of them were pitched off or kinked. This should be a good ski for the family I was in 4-6 foot waves with the kids on it and they loved it and it handled the waves very well any info would be great Thanks Keith

+1
    Fuel Injected or carburettor based ?This will determine the track we take .There is a temp sender on the exhaust near the rear of the engine on the left hand side .There is a cable with 2 wires going to it .Check those wires at the sender unit .sometimes they have chaffed through and short out causing a wrong reading to the brains of the ski .This will put it into limp mode
    Cheers

Bernie

Thanks for the reply The ski is carbureted.

Bump

Ok I think I have figured out. I checked the exhaust orfice it needed cleaned but not the problem. I pulled the thermostat and it looked ok, the pop of valve was stuck I had to get a set of plyers and wiggle it out I saw no blockage or corrosion. I put it back together and left the thermostat out. Before max rpm was 6100 and 46 mph then computer would kick in. With thermostat out 6400 rpm and max speed 49.9 could not get the last 10th and no overheat. The manual says the high rpm's should be 7200 when computer kicks in (fast enough for me on Lake Erie). I have a few questions should I put in a new thermostat and if not should I take out the pop of valve. Should the pop of valve move freely up and down and or possible turn when assembled does it need to move under normal running conditions. The ski seemed to run fine with the pop of vavle in and the thermostat out. Can any damage be done to the engine with the thermostat out.

Pop off should move freely up and down. Running with no T-stat wont hurt a thing. I would leave the pop off in there to provide a little backpressure.

So my thermostat is probably good.
    Engine was probably overheating because of the stuck pop off valve.

Thanks

Thread Information