Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar

RXP-X R&D intake grate

hey guys, i just ordered a R&D intake grate and filter from GH. My question is when am i going to start messing with the impeller to tune to the grate + filter do i need to do this yet? when will i need to worry about overstuffing? the X is completely stock right now, i will be doing the ride plate holes and reverse mod all with the intakes at the same time.

BTW: yesterday i finally got some GPS #'s and peak was 68.7 (13 hours water temp @ 85 air temp 100 and my rpms were around 7900) water was rather choppy and could hardly stay hooked for more than a few seconds..
    Im such a rookie at this whole boat thing, i know engines and tires...
    Last edited by 08255; 06-10-2008 at 01:39 PM.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by 08255 View Post
    hey guys, i just ordered a R&D intake grate and filter from GH. My question is when am i going to start messing with the impeller to tune to the grate + filter do i need to do this yet? when will i need to worry about overstuffing? the X is completely stock right now, i will be doing the ride plate holes and reverse mod all with the intakes at the same time.

BTW: yesterday i finally got some GPS #'s and peak was 68.7 (13 hours water temp @ 85 air temp 100 and my rpms were around 7900) water was rather choppy and could hardly stay hooked for more than a few seconds..
    Im such a rookie at this whole boat thing, i know engines and tires...
    Get a baseline first.. Then tweek.. Worry about the overstuffing yesterday, it's a quick fix.. Drill two holes~~Done!!
    If you got your #'s in chop, you'll find out it's much quicker when you can lay out for a distance WOT

well i know (by my butt-o-meter) its gone faster in cooler temps with higher rpm's in smoother water. its just been so freaking hot here..and didnt have GPS.

im pretty good at drilling holes in stuff. 2 3/8 holes right? easy enough.

i can feel this thing sitting on a "brake" and i opted to just by a new grate instead of cutting my oe.

im just asking will i benefit from doing just the intake grate and plenum filter and see gains or will it actually hurt me a little until i get it properly "tuned" with an impeller pitch change and wedge and all that...which i know is to come in the future.

im trying to do a little at a time until i have a good feel on how everything works on this beast. my first ski !!

THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    Get a baseline first.. Then tweek.. Worry about the overstuffing yesterday, it's a quick fix.. Drill two holes~~Done!!
    If you got your #'s in chop, you'll find out it's much quicker when you can lay out for a distance WOT
    I'm about to order the R&D grate and filter as well as gutting the air box and possible removing the spark arrestor inside the intake manifold, hoping it'll get me well above the 65.8mph max speed I get right now. I've got 6 hours on mine though. I had near a full tank, at 90+degree air and a 335lb rider. I'm thinking of waiting on drilling the holes until I see over 70-71mph.

Question... when we drill the holes, are we drilling through the hull at all??? I know we go through the ride plate, and into the pump tunnel I believe, but is that drill going through the hull, or just the pump? And if the response is "through the ride plate and pump shoe"... what is the "pump shoe"?

-=Mike G.
    Last edited by Mikey G.; 06-10-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 08255 View Post
    well i know (by my butt-o-meter) its gone faster in cooler temps with higher rpm's in smoother water. its just been so freaking hot here..and didnt have GPS.

im pretty good at drilling holes in stuff. 2 3/8 holes right? easy enough.

i can feel this thing sitting on a "brake" and i opted to just by a new grate instead of cutting my oe.

im just asking will i benefit from doing just the intake grate and plenum filter and see gains or will it actually hurt me a little until i get it properly "tuned" with an impeller pitch change and wedge and all that...which i know is to come in the future.

im trying to do a little at a time until i have a good feel on how everything works on this beast. my first ski !!

THANKS
    Hmmm... forgot about just cutting the stock grate... I can REALLY feel the "brake" effect of the stock grate over ~55mph. Feels like someone's holding it back with a rope, combined with a slight fast vibration feel that comes on over 60mph. I'm thinking that my added weight over the back of the ski is pushing it into the water more, making the intake grate "brake" even more.

Sorry... trying not to hi-jack the thread and keep in on topic.

-=Mike G.
    Last edited by Mikey G.; 06-10-2008 at 02:34 PM.

im pretty certain that around my 9 hour mark (close to 10) it started to to haul ass pretty good. it opened up i guess you could say. i feel like it could have been another 2 mph on a good day.

yesterday was the hottest its ever been and felt a little weak at the top, or i could just be getting used to it

do i need to remove the intake manifold to remove all that flame arrestor stuff inside or just the throttle body? and what about gutting the airbox?
    Last edited by 08255; 06-10-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Who needs new parts

I was just cleaning out my garage and found alot of stock parts off my 2006 RXP.
    I have
    - stock inpellar
    - stock intake grate
    - stock air intake
    - 1 brand new Riva cold air intake for RXP-X

Let me know

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by powertek View Post
    I was just cleaning out my garage and found alot of stock parts off my 2006 RXP.
    I have
    - stock inpellar
    - stock intake grate
    - stock air intake
    - 1 brand new Riva cold air intake for RXP-X

Let me know
    you might try the classifieds. i think someone was looking for a stock rxp prop.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey G. View Post
    I'm about to order the R&D grate and filter as well as gutting the air box and possible removing the spark arrestor inside the intake manifold, hoping it'll get me well above the 65.8mph max speed I get right now. I've got 6 hours on mine though. I had near a full tank, at 90+degree air and a 335lb rider. I'm thinking of waiting on drilling the holes until I see over 70-71mph.

Question... when we drill the holes, are we drilling through the hull at all??? I know we go through the ride plate, and into the pump tunnel I believe, but is that drill going through the hull, or just the pump? And if the response is "through the ride plate and pump shoe"... what is the "pump shoe"?

-=Mike G.
    DO NOT DRILL THROUGH HULL!!!!! You'll have to read Jerry's post for exact instructions for I have '06 and don't need to do this mod. I don't think you should drill through the Ride plate either, antifreeze is in there. From what I took from his tread is to drill through your intake grate into the pump shoe.
    What is a pump shoe? It's the thing you bolt your pump to..

Alex

Banned User
    I can't find a damn picture of a pump shoe..

it's the thing the motor alignment tool is hooked to

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information