04 msx 110 water in oil problem & noises

I have 2 04 msx's a 110 & 150. No problems with the 150, but the 110 has water mixed in with the oil, runs rough and also seems to have a rattling type noise from underneath the impeller area. Both machines have been serviced at the same time and have similar hours and riding conditions, all freshwater. It all started when I serviced both machines, the oil was similar in both machines, normal for the hours of use on the oil, put them in the water and almost immediately the 110 started misfiring then stalling out, pulled the plugs and found some water in the cylinders. Took it out of the water and checking the machine over found the brand new oil with less than 2 minutes of run time on it was all milky, took the oil tank out expecting to find it cracked, pressure tested it, did not find any leaks in the oil tank, checking into it further pressurizing the freshwater system heard bubbling from the intercooler. Took intercooler off and found it was full of water, pressure tested the intercooler and found that one of the cooling tubes ruptured and was causing water entry. Pressurized the rest of freshwater system and did not find any leaks. The machine ran approximately 2 minutes since the oil change. Is it possible that in that time the water washed by the rings into the oil causing all that milking? I don't believe I have any engine damage for the engine did not hydro lock and I never pushed the RPM's and what is the best way to flush out the crankcase for the noise sounds like a tinny rattle noise, I do not remember the noise from previous years use. I priced out an intercooler and it's almost $1,000, I found somebody who can take it apart and butt plug the ruptured tubes, will this have an adverse effect on the machine's performance? Has anybody else experienced similar issues with either 4 stroke machines? I winterized these machines as reccomended by the owner's manual for the past 3 yrs. without issue and it appears that the intercooler issue was caused by water freezing inside a tube.
    Thanks for any help

+1
    you could have a cracked head or bad head gasket, just a thought

do a comp check

did not take a compression test, but did air leak test the cylinders and held pressure, no air escaped into the oil or the coolant. Coolant level has been steady and full. Waiting for intercooler to come back repared, changed the oil and tried again

still not sure on how to flush out the crankcase, was thinking of filling the crankcase with conventional 10w-30 instead of the expensive 15w-50 and changing the oil several times until it comes out clean and then changing it the last time with filter and correct oil. Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by alt View Post
    still not sure on how to flush out the crankcase, was thinking of filling the crankcase with conventional 10w-30 instead of the expensive 15w-50 and changing the oil several times until it comes out clean and then changing it the last time with filter and correct oil. Any thoughts on this?
    Pretty much what I would do....

using the cheaper oil will work but I would not recommend leaving it in there for the long haul due to the turbo will want that synthetic oil. How exactlty did you pressure test the oil tank? I have never seen that done. and if too much pressure is applied you could damage the o-ring that seperates the water chamber and the oil chamber. Is this maybe the cause of the water leak or was this before you tested the intercooler?

I pressure tested the oil tank by plugging up the water outlet side on the top and applying appx. 30 psi to the water inlet at the bottom and checked to see if any air was escaping into the oil tank. This proved to be not the source of my issues. I did take the oil tank out to clean it thoroughly because it was contaminated, o-rings were good, reassembled and re-pressure tested to make sure o-rings did not roll on installation. As far as flushing out the crankcase, flushed out the oil 4 timesat the end using mobil1 15w-50 and new filter. The apparent cause of my water in oil was a failed intercooler, the coolant tubes failed filling it with water, causing the water to wash down the cylinders. Had intercooler repaired, the shop that repaired had to plug off 3 tubes. Not sure how this will affect the preformance of machine or how the tubes failed. Picking up the intercooler today and installing it this weekend. Has anybody out there ever seen this happen? Been winterizing the ski as recommended by Polaris for 4 years without issue, is there a different way to winterize this to make sure it doesn't happen again, or should I remove intercooler before winter?

Thread Information