Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    born riding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    richmond, va
    Posts
    294
    +1
    3

    engine temp 200 degress after easy ride

    i want to cool my engine down and want to add a second engine cooling line. where do you think would be the best place to pull a bypass hot water and inject cool water? would half way of water routing be good spot? thanks

    other readings:
    gas tank 117 degrees
    intercooler (with upgrade) 140 degrees
    valve cover 200 degrees
    intake manifold 160
    exhaust about 170


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    20
    +1
    1
    How did you take the readings?

    Was the engine running when taken?

  3. #3
    Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,563
    +1
    169
    those numbers seem about right... what do you think a car runs at?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    20
    +1
    1
    I guarentee you my manifold or IC does not run at that temp. The temperatures look like engine not running w/ no cooling.

    I asked to find out how and when because at first glance it looks like they were shot w/ a gun after shutdown.

    Most car engines run in the 190s to 220s depending on thermostat and ecm programming for high speed/ low speed turn on or single fan on or dual fans on. Or are you referring to oil temp, egt, discharge temp of a roots versus centri versus a matched turbo?

    Gas tank I am not sure of I never had the need to know that one. I suppose it depends on fuel pump size, positioning of the tank, and whether it is return or returnless style fuel system and ambient temperature outside, exhaust routing? I would love to know the answer if you have it.

  5. #5
    Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,563
    +1
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    I guarentee you my manifold or IC does not run at that temp. The temperatures look like engine not running w/ no cooling.

    I asked to find out how and when because at first glance it looks like they were shot w/ a gun after shutdown.

    Most car engines run in the 190s to 220s depending on thermostat and ecm programming for high speed/ low speed turn on or single fan on or dual fans on. Or are you referring to oil temp, egt, discharge temp of a roots versus centri versus a matched turbo?

    Gas tank I am not sure of I never had the need to know that one. I suppose it depends on fuel pump size, positioning of the tank, and whether it is return or returnless style fuel system and ambient temperature outside, exhaust routing? I would love to know the answer if you have it.
    i was reffering to overall temp... some of those temps do look a little off.... a liquid cooled intercooler should never be that hot unless it was taken after sitting in the sun all day and fire up and idled for a lil bit with not water circulating

  6. #6
    Rustymuscle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Hendersonville, TN
    Posts
    2,647
    +1
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    ...what do you think a car runs at?
    Modern thermostats open at 185 to 190 degrees as a hotter engine gets, the more efficient the fuel burn. Thirty years ago it was typically between 165 and 170.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    20
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    i was reffering to overall temp... some of those temps do look a little off.... a liquid cooled intercooler should never be that hot unless it was taken after sitting in the sun all day and fire up and idled for a lil bit with not water circulating
    no harm no foul just having a little fun

  8. #8
    Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    4,165
    +1
    602

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    no harm no foul just having a little fun

    I find that the 250x needs to run over 200,
    because after the go thru re-entry they will try to freeze up
    So anything less than 200 engine will stall and we all know then you got no steering.......... not god for a smooth landing

  9. #9
    born riding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    richmond, va
    Posts
    294
    +1
    3

    hot engine

    i used a laser temp gun. did test 5 mins after shutting off motor, had seat off in shade and ran my 2 extra cooling fans for a minute before i decided to get my temp gun. after leaving my ski with the seat off in the shade the motor is still too hot to touch even after 3 hrs or more. all readings were done with temp gun.

    yes cars run hotter but they do not have fresh water cooling all the time, they recirculate. any suggestions on what the temps should be reading. I race and will take temps after next race event to see.

    so basically looks like ive got 12 degrees before water will boil off. I know that the engine may get hotter after shut down due to no coolant circulation, but that just still seems too hot. I have also noticed some possable heat soak problems, and thought an additional cooling line would help. thanks

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    20
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by born riding View Post
    i used a laser temp gun. did test 5 mins after shutting off motor, had seat off in shade and ran my 2 extra cooling fans for a minute before i decided to get my temp gun. after leaving my ski with the seat off in the shade the motor is still too hot to touch even after 3 hrs or more. all readings were done with temp gun.

    yes cars run hotter but they do not have fresh water cooling all the time, they recirculate. any suggestions on what the temps should be reading. I race and will take temps after next race event to see.

    so basically looks like ive got 12 degrees before water will boil off. I know that the engine may get hotter after shut down due to no coolant circulation, but that just still seems too hot. I have also noticed some possable heat soak problems, and thought an additional cooling line would help. thanks

    I have noticed the engine heat soaks very quickly after shutoff. I just about knew you shot it with a gun after shutoff. Yes, it stays hot for a long time the aluminum is a big heat sink so it will get hot and stay hot at the surface till all heat is out of the engine.

    Shoot it while running and the seat off I bet it is much lower
    Last edited by spaulding; 06-12-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 11:53 AM
  2. What to use to Clean your Engine after ocean Ride..
    By guille in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 07:37 PM
  3. cleaning engine after salt riding
    By C Doo in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 11:43 AM
  4. New Temp code (P1445)after high flow hood install??
    By Alex13 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2006, 09:04 PM
  5. Impressions after First Ride today
    By 1 FAST VE in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •