Red face Waveraider 1100 idle rough

Howdy all!

I've got a '95 Waveraider 1100 that's giving me some problems. It does crank and run, but doesn't idle smooth. At idle, the engine has a bad vibration/shake to it kind of like a cylinder is not firing. If you give it some gas the engine smooths out and runs/sounds great. We did replace the plugs, but have not pulled all of them to make sure there is spark. We also have not done a compression test yet.

I dd try pulling the air filters off of the engine and putting my hand over each of the carbs while it is idling. When I did the first two cylinders, the engine died each time. When I put my hand over the 3rd cylinder (closest to the back), it kept running and nothing changed about its sound. I'm guessing that last cylinder is not firing or worse... Any ideas or experiences with this?

Thanks!!!
    Spatch!

Your on the right track! check compression to eliminate that and verify spark! these do idle like an old harley but you can get them to a decent idle with some on the water adjustments

Thanks for the reply!! We were able to check the spark lastnight and all 3 plugs are firing. I don't have a compression guage, but we are going to get a friend of ours to check the compression for us tonight. Hopefully the compression will be good...

Spatch!

Yay! Ski runs better now. We found 2 problems with the last carb. 1st the throttle plate wasn't synced with the first 2 carbs. 2nd I guess the last time they were rebuilt the person didn't remove one of the old gaskets and put a new one on top of the old one. There looked to be an air leak where the 2 gaskets were bunched up. Fixed those 2 issues, cleaned and tuned all 3 carbs and now it runs great. Hopefully we'll get to find out how well it runs this weekend.

Spatch!

good job!!

Thread Information