Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Sea Doo RXP 2005 Starting Problems

when I try to start it, the engine clic but it won't start. Could it be that I put a wrong washer on the starter?

Could be a bad battery. I have a battery here that holds a charge and is at 12.3v but it won't start the ski unless I've had it on the charger for an hour or so, replaced it and the ski starts every time.

Start with that and then if it isn't fixed we can look at other things like starter relay.
    Last edited by Lurker; 06-11-2008 at 06:52 PM.

If you keep pressing the start button does it eventually start? If so, it's the starter relay.

This is the exact same thing my 04 rxp is doing!!! The battery reads 12.4 volts with the volt-meter. Then when I try to start it, it just goes.... da da da da da da. (hard to do sound effects on the computer) But if I hook up a lil jump pack to it, it starts everytime. Today I tried to ride it, dropped it in the water, hit the start button, and the VTS scale just kept going up and down and made the noise. Pulled it out, parked my truck and sat at the beach for awhile, went back to the truck and it started up. Then I took it home, tried to start it then, and no dice. It wouldn't start!!! I'm going to first replace the battery and if that doesn't work, try the relay next. And if that doesn't work, I dont know what, lol.

Dont judge me...
    a battery can read voltage but not have the cranking amps to turn the motor over...a parts store can do a load test on it to tell you if that in fact is what it is.

Try measuring the battery voltage when cranking, it will give you an idea of its condition.

yeah mine did that yesturday. just change the battery. i did and it worked like a charm.

I figured it out last night. I checked the voltage drop while pushing the start button. It only dropped to 11.4 volts. So then I tried using a screwdriver across the starter relay, and the thing started right up!! So I have a brand new starter relay sitting on my computer desk.... It's raining so that's why it isn't being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by dober23 View Post
    I figured it out last night. I checked the voltage drop while pushing the start button. It only dropped to 11.4 volts. So then I tried using a screwdriver across the starter relay, and the thing started right up!! So I have a brand new starter relay sitting on my computer desk.... It's raining so that's why it isn't being worked on.
    Great.

I have the worst luck ever.... So tonight it finally stopped raining long enough to where I could throw on the new relay. I put it on, and try to start it and all I got was the clicking noise again. So then I checked to see if I didn't tighten down on 1 of the posts good enough. And the bottom one I could spin a little bit. So I gave that one a lil extra turn and that was a bad idea!!! Broke the dang post right off!!! So then in my madness I check EVERY single fuse in this darn thing. All of them were good. So I check the battery again... same thing, only drops to 11.4 volts. Could the battery have good volts but still not crank over the motor? I'm completely baffled because if I hook up one of those little portable battery starter deals to my battery, it starts right up!!!! And if I put a screwdriver across the positive and negative side of the relay, it starts up also!!! Does anyone have a manual in PDF form they could email me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.... Also, where is the ground located on this thing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information