Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 15F turbo build

+1

15F turbo build

after alot of talk on another thread I decided to do a build thread.

after months of contempation , buying bits an pieces and a broken rod I have an excuse to try and do a turbo 15F build.

with my motor completly stripped down due to a blown off cooling hose, nearling sinking my ski, water causing hydrolic falure braking #4 rod and a putting a small hole in the lower crank case.
    so what better time since i had bought months ago a set of JE 9:5:1 fordged pistons to put all this stuff i had been collecting to use, so here we go !!

this is what i have brought in nearly 12 months ;

JE 9:5:1 fordged pistons
    sti pink injectors
    wrx sti VF 35 turbo (exhaust housing with water jacket)
    XS intercooler
    HKS blow off valve
    skat 155mm pump
    fuel pressure regulator
    YELLOW RACING fully programable plug and play CDI
    ZX12R oem cams
    1mm cylinder spacer plate
    new rod

had made stainless steel intake and exhaust manifolds
    and alot of 180 & 90 degree stainless mandrel bends in 2" ,2 1/2" & 3" to fab up the water jacketed turbo manifold and water exhaust system.

this has been in my head for 12 months now, its time to give it a shot.
    I'm not saying I know what I'm doing, I have read up as much as there is out there on the net, and help from other visionarys and people that has done it on kawi or doo it will get done......

+1
    Talk to Todd Boaer at Jetworx in Sydney or Ricky lamprecht in QLD.

They both have some fast running turbo 15f's.

+1
    i have spoken to ricky just before the aussie titles and was supposed to catch up with him at carrabean gardens but didnt make it there, he put me onto Mr.turbo.

tod i know and have been up to jetworx( which i'm sorry to hear about the fire at his workshop of late)and seen his work first hand.AWESOME

dont get me wrong I would love a 400hp beast but it is just not practical for want I want, and need.

couple of pics of ski minus motor....will get other pics up soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 1.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	886.3 KB 
ID:	77363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 2.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	811.6 KB 
ID:	77364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 3.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	764.5 KB 
ID:	77365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 4.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	872.4 KB 
ID:	77366  

+1
    Pete,
    Take as many pictures as you can. Were did you get the 1mm spacer from? Are you planning on using ARP studs, too? Whats the price on the YellowRacing CDI? What do you think your compression will be with the JE's and spacer?

Many questions. Can't wait to see pics and results.

JP

im goin crazy to see how this turns out. Im thinikin my 15f could use some forced induction mabey by next summer if somebody can point me in the right direction and give me a list of parts needed. I'd like to run in the mid 70's on 93 oct.

+1
    jp; the yellow cdi was $2500, the spacer came with the cdi. i should have bought an autronic system,alot more features for boost , and launch control + more.but the yellow cdi is plug straight into the ski and done...just to easy as i didnt want to mess the wiring all up so if this goes to crap i can go back to stock.
    as for compresion with the JE pistons and spacer i dont know,but i went to see les cooke with this stuff and he said to lower the compresion as much as possible,you can always add more boost to compensate.
    when the motor is back together will chek comp. and get back to les for further instructions on that...wether to drop it more or not.

jp asked "Are you planning on using ARP studs, too?"

what are these ?

Pete,

Are you planning on tuning and doing this all yourself? If you want I can give you a couple ECU files I have for what I have done already. The easiest thing would be just to download the software I use and open the program... it gives you a good visual of how everything is setup. Not sure how the Yellow CDI works or how they have it setup. Do they have set parameters for all the sensors? Plus do the have a preprogrammed fuel and ignition curve for you to start with? If you don't know any of the initial stock settings it could make it fairly hard to get the boat started. As for my setup I am using an adaptronic 420c that I got from a friend that is a dealer for them. I had to cut the entire electrical harness and hack it up, but it does give you several other tuning options which is nice. Do you know if the Yellow ECU has adaptive fuel and ignition tuning? If not tuning it without any previous fuel curves could be a pain in the ass. Also I know when we installed my ECU we had to build a small ignition coil ignitor/driver to fire the coils. I'm assuming this is probably all integrated into the yellow ECU. Right now I am running MTC pistons with the 1mm spacer plate which puts me right aroun 9.5:1. I'm assuming you would probably be in the 8.5:1 range with your setup. Like Les is saying you could compensate with more boost to increase peak horse power, but may be sacrificing a little bit in peak torque. The higher compression helps get off the line a little quicker... especially if you aren't using launch control/antilag. If you need any insight into anything let me know because I bet I can help you save a ton of money, since I already went through a lot of the BS with breaking parts and figuring out sizing.

First thing I can see with your list that you'll need is definitely a heavy duty steering cable. I got a special one from some guy named Andy in texas. It was probably 30% bigger and requires all custom fab to get it to work, but if not you will bend you steering cable in half on the first turn. No joke. Also since these things produce so much torque you need to upgrade everything. I bought a brand new pump/nozzle combo from skat trak. First race I ripped the threads out of the venturi nozzle. I had to replace them with timeserts. I have also blown out several nozzle rings so I would silicone in. A lot of these things are obviously way down the road from where you are now, but its good to know. As far as the motor is concerned we definitely need to figure out how to minimize the blow by or whenever you ride it, its going to throw oil all over the place. Might need to add the R&D kit or something similar. Do you have an idea of what kind of pitch you are going to run for a prop. I had to try several to get the RPMs in the right range. I ran one prop and it would turn as high as I wanted it to go (RPM range), but obviously you want to keep the RPMS lower to keep from smacking a valve. Let me know if you need any help.

Jetskir15f,

I have another J-pipe that goes right around the stock manifold coupler.... it has a flange for an STI turbo so if he has any luck with the VF 34 it would most likely bolt right up. Plus I have the crossover from the exhaust the would utilize one waterbox. Let me know if your interested at any point. I'm going to Austin TX till Wednesday, but I can take some pictures after I get back. Wanted to post some pics of my current setup any ways.

+1
    Jetskir15f, i have the entire skat pump nozel set-up and a heavy duty steering cable already installed.
    the cdi is totally programable and already pre-mapped for a turbo at 220hp (i will bump that up a bit though).
    i will have a ton of questions to throw at you down the track no dought.
    would love to see the way you mounted your current turbo as i have seen so many different ways to do it.
    I'm of today to start fabbing up the up-pipe, have a s**t load of stainless steel pipe & mandrel bends in 2", 2 1/2" and 3".

will take a few pics and get them up soon.

+1
    jp....ARP studs ?? for ??

i've oficially been bitten by the turbo bug. uhh ohhh i have a bad feeling i'll be spending a lot of money!

STRIZ; i know you got a ton stuck in ur setup between testing different setups and replacing parts and such, but what do you think it would take to build setup to run 75-78 on pump gas? is that possible?

tell me how far off i am. used or reman STI turbo $400-$700. ZX-12 Cams ??, Magnum pump $400-$750, JE pistons $500, Impeller $200-$300, Skat Nozzle $500, Steering cable $150, MISC tubing $150, R&D Billet coupler $150, UMI $500

I already have R&D Plate, grate, sponsons, plus other stuff but the exhaust and stuff would have to be replaced anyways.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information