What do you think of this pair

Looking for another Polaris ski. Something, newer and faster than my 95 SL 750. Budget is 3-4k. I'd like a Pro 785 or 1200, but I dont expect to find one easily.

What do you think of these. http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/688035437.html

They sound like they're mint. Always covered, dealer serviced every year, and stored in a heated garage. Hours are said to be reasonably low, but he's putting the batteries in to verify actual hours.

I'm more interested in the 1050. What kind of performance could I expect from this? I've driven a 95 SLT 750 three seater with no trim, and it wasnt half as fun to drive around jumping waves as my two seater 750 (with trim.) Will this 1050 be as boring? I suspect you could put a descent wedge in these to gain speed and wave jumping ability without chronic porpoising.

thanks
    Eric

Sorry, you won't get much more wave jumping ability out of that SLTX. You can't expect to have fun jumping with a 3 seater. The best 2 seater wave jumpers are going to be a 96xp,97spx that I've ridden. Other guys can chime in but the polaris 2 seaters are just not as fun as the X4 Hull jumping waves. And this is from having had several 2 and 3 seater doo's and polaris skiis over the years.

I've ridden a 3-4 year old sea do, and it blows. All it does is lift out of the water and cut right through whatever you're pointing at. I drove an older sea do a long time ago, but I dont remembe what it was like. I'm really only looking for a polaris because I'm familiar with my 750, and like the way it jumps. I think what I really want is a pro 785. Short, and fast. It has to be a good jumper. Maybe not. Maybe I just need to get another SL hull, 750 or 780, and live with the 50 mph.

I dont think I'd mind having a 3 seater, if it was really fast and great handling. Then I could use the 750 to launch off the waves, and the 3 seater when I want more stability, or maybe take a trip out to the ocean.

I just read the group k stuff, and it looks like a lot of work is required to get a 1050 very far into the 60's. No good.

Eric

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsonator View Post
    ...I'm familiar with my 750, and like the way it jumps.
    I think what I really want is a pro 785. Short, and fast.
    It has to be a good jumper. Maybe not.
    Maybe I just need to get another SL hull, 750 or 780, and live with the 50 mph...
    The Pro785 is going to be rather non-linear in terms of power delivery.

What about the Polaris 1200 domestic engined models;
    SLX 1200, PRO 1200?

Short hulls, lots of power, choice of ride plates.
    You can add trim if it doesn't have it already.
    More power if you increase compression, find one with a set of trippple pipes.

Perhaps a Hurricane; Light, very short, tight turning...

I think I'd be ok with the non linear power curve. The throttle on this 750 is always either on, or off.

That's my problem, I dont know the ins and outs of all the models. I just missed a pro 1200 with triple pipes that was local. I dont expect to find another one.

So an SLX is a shorter hull? A short 3 seater, or a 2 seater? I just found this local to me: 2000 Polaris Genesis 1200, 3-cyl, 3-seater, new pistons & rings, new batt & spark plug, gauges & reverse. Gd cond, w/trlr & cover, ready to go. $2900

Not sure if that is an SLX, or a domestic engine. Gotta do some research...

Eric

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsonator View Post
    I think I'd be ok with the non-linear power curve. The throttle on this 750 is always either on, or off.
    Not like the PRO 785 power curve, which isn't really a curve, more of a rocket launch cliff face.

That's my problem, I don't know the ins and outs of all the models. I just missed a pro 1200 with triple pipes that was local. I don't expect to find another one.

So an SLX is a shorter hull? A short 3 seater, or a 2 seater?
    The SLX is an SL hull with more performance parts; extended pump, bigger motor.
    All SL are two seaters, SLT are three passengers. SLT begat SLTX, which then became the Virage TX.

SLX 1200 and PRO 1200 have the same engine, but different hull bottoms, so different ride characteristics.

The top performance Polaris models are either named PRO, or have an X in the name.

I just found this local to me: 2000 Polaris Genesis 1200, 3-cyl, 3-seater, new pistons & rings, new batt & spark plug, gauges & reverse. Gd cond, w/trlr & cover, ready to go. $2900
    Genesis is a FOUR seat Polaris, the biggest, heaviest thing they ever made. Exact opposite of a wave jumper.

Not sure if that is an SLX, or a domestic engine. Gotta do some research...

Eric
    Spreadsheet of all Polaris models can be found here, part of this thread.

Note that the hull material varies with the model and year. Some are SMC, some are fiberglass, some are FRC. The dry weight also changes with the model and year.

As the fuel tanks got larger, the 'wet' weight also goes up (but of course you can ride with the tank half full).

that's a sweet spreadsheet. Just what I needed. How did I not find that searching. idiot. anyways...

Based on that spreadsheet, and how much I like my SL 750 beater, I think my tops picks are as follows:

1. 00-01 Pro 1200
    2. 00-01 SLX 1200
    3. 95-96 SLX 780
    4. 96-97 SL 780/900/1050

What are the different ride characteristics between the pro and slx 1200's?

Maybe throw a hurricane in there somewhere. Don't know much about them. Not sure the difference between a 95-96 SLX 780 and a 96-97 SL 780. All these are probably in, or near, my price range.

I dont know if it exists, but a good wave jumper that'll run low 60's min would be nice. At least with mods that don't exceed porting.

Eric

Thread Information