94 Raider 701 62T Carb Problem

I have a 94 Raider 701 with twin carbs. Ever since I got the machine last year the engine was stalling if you idle it for about 20-30 seconds. I ignored the problem last year since I rarely idled it anyways, but decided to do the adjustments this year. When I removed the top end of the carb assembly I noticed that the throttle stop screw on carb 1(rear) is just missing. Is this normal for this model?(It doesn't make sense) I was also experiencing some hesitation from idle to full throttle so I thought that I would also adjust the low speed to factory specs and go from there. However my low speed screws have limiters on them which allow them to move only within a certain range of slighlty less than 1/2 turn. Therefore the 5/8 turn adjustment listed in the manual is just not possible on these carbs. Does anyone know what are the factory settings for these? Also I would appreciate it if you have any suggestions on the hesitation problem. My guess was that there was a lean. The spark plugs insulators look good but the side electrodes are really oily instead of slightly white. Thanks for your help in advance!

I throttle stop screw is normal since they are on a common linkage! you can cut the tip of the stop off of the cap to use the full range of adjustments . And if you haven't tore those carbs apart latley for inspection your probably past due
    Last edited by ZMANN; 06-12-2008 at 12:00 PM.

I played with it for a while and got the hestitation to almost disappear. It happens about one out of twenty times now as opposed to every second time before. However idling is still crap and I could not get it to idle right unless I raised the RPMs to 1400. I don't think that these carbs have ever been aparat. Considering that I have never taken a carb apart in my life, how hard would you say it would be for me to rebuild them? Thanks again for the input.

on a scale of 1 to 10 they are a 3 . easy stuff

Thanks for the info. I got the rebuild kit and I'll get on them some time next week. Hopefully all goes well.

Lake Conroe (Montgomery,) Texas
    Did you get the carbs rebuilt? If so, how is it working now?

Thread Information