Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation '97 900 SL Flywheel Removal

I am currently in the process of removing the flywheel so I can update the stator. I am using a Craftsman puller to do this. To me it seems that the bolts I am using are to long and start to bend when I apply a decent amount of force to them. Am I better off going to a shorter bolt for this? Secondly how much easier will an impact make this job?

+1
    yes go with the impact and also try alittle heat with a propane torch that should help.

do not thread the 3 bolts into the flywheel very far! or u will ruin the stator coils

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Shorter bolts might be a good idea.
    Make sure you get bolts with decent strength ratings.

Search for other threads discussing flywheel removal. They often don't want to come off, so be prepared to fight for it.

+1
    You should be ok with the bolts you have, but they will tend to twist. if it looks like it's twisting alot, then maybe try some shorter ones, and make sure you use grade 8 bolts.

A little heat will also work like Lugs says, but just remember, you have the stator behind there so don't get too crazy with the heat.

You can impact it on and if it still feels like it doesnt wanna go hit on the end of the puller with a hammer...once again, dont get too crazy, but give 'er some whacks.

I've also cranked a puller on before and let it sit over night, a few times I've come back to it and it had popped off

Edit: If an air impact isn't available to you, a little larger breaker bar will do wonders!

Another thing I like to do before I completely install the puller, is thread the bolts in to what looks like you are all the way through the flywheel, then slowly turn the flywheel around making sure the bolts aren't in too deep to hit the stator.

Watch your knuckles and don't get pissed at it, she'll come off!

Smile

I am actually surprised how easy it came it off. I went out and picked up some shorter bolts and hit it with the impact and it took about 5 secinds for it to "pop" off. I never heard the loud crack that I have read about here. Anyways, I hope to finish it up tomorrow and take for a ride on the river if everything goes well!

+1
    Bummer, that "CRRRAAAACK is half the reward.LOL

Question

Ok, here is a new one for me. I installed the ignition update and got it all put back together, but now the "HOT" warning light will not turn off. It has been on since I installed the battery and it has not even been run yet. Any ideas what may be the culprit of this?

+1
    Can you get us a nice photo of the stator wires and where they have been attached to the electricalbox, coils, CDI etc??
    What happens if you remove the wire from the board leading to the over heat sensor, does it "HOT" still stay on or does it go out?

I'll to get a picture up tonight and remove the sensor wire and see what happens. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information