EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Seafoam/top cleaner/ other Carbon Deposit Cleaner

I know this is a touchy subject to some. Some people are firm believers is maintenance via additives and some frown upon this kinda stuff... but to each his own

How can we keep the engines pretty and clean internally? I've seen many stock RXPs torn down and have a nice coating of carbon across the tops of the pistons. A risk with any top end cleaner is if you break a large chunk of carbon away you might smack a valve with it or do damage.

it's done on cars all the time, feeding seaform, or GM top cleaner, or honda whatever.... they each have their geniune top end cleaner, but they all utilized vaccuum lines to idle the motor and pour the stuff in and u watch it smoke away and then stall it out, wait awhile, start it up later and watch more carbon desposits burn away.

Seafoam can be added to the fuel and also to the crank oil.... but i really want a nice way to clean out the intake tracts, ports, valves and seat, piston tops, etc... what can we do with our skis before i do something stupid

B-G products work the best. You can get a hose and feed it into the throttle body plate. This will clean everything. Good stuff.

+1
    my other concern is can the sensors on the throttle body and in the intake manifold get damaged from such an additive / process?

would have to spray the fluid into the supercharger or throttle body to mist and vaporize it as much as possible i'd imagine.

+1
    Not worth the time and effort. Just remove the intercooler and clean it.
    Our fuel systems don't have the hours to make it worth it
    We again don't have the hours for sludge.
    The carbon we do have is so little removing it would not effect performance.

So why risk possible adverse effects on plastics and sensors for just having a shiny intake (that willbe dirty in no time at all again)

I don't really understand what the difference is between our engines and automobile engines. If they are they same how come you can't just add seafoam to the gas. Also I never really understood why people say it's bad to add octane booster to the gas but you can in a car.

+1
    I use shell Vpower 93 octane with keeps the top end clean,thats what they say.

I'll tell you the old school way but I'm recommending it to no one, steam. My grandfather showed me this trick to clean carbon off of high mileage pistons and and it worked on older cars but I have not done it on anything without a carburetor, put very small amount of water through the carb for about 5 minutes at a time while holding just above idle, we used a drink bottle with a thumb over the end of the bottle to regulate how much water was poured in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXX
    I'll tell you the old school way but I'm recommending it to no one, steam. My grandfather showed me this trick to clean carbon off of high mileage pistons and and it worked on older cars but I have not done it on anything without a carburetor, put very small amount of water through the carb for about 5 minutes at a time while holding just above idle, we used a drink bottle with a thumb over the end of the bottle to regulate how much water was poured in.
    GTXX...i've heard that exact method from knowledgable people as well..

splish splash... i'm not talking about the intercooler, and my intercooler stays clean (ie Catch can and air filter) ... i'm talking about cleaning the top end of the motor bc several of the ones i've seen taken apart have carbon build up on the pistons, and i'm not about to pull my head just to see if mine is like that too.

Quote Originally Posted by buddydoo
    I use shell Vpower 93 octane with keeps the top end clean,thats what they say.
    Fuel is great to clean the fuel system. But as far as the induction system is concerned, you will need to spray the throttle body. Never ever under any circumstance feed anything into the S/C.
    You can buy throttle body/plenum cleaner in a spray can from the parts store that is sensor safe. There is no difference between our motor`s and car motor`s as far as this is concerned.

+1
    GTXX is talking about using water.
    Pour it into the throttle body or spray it in and it will pass through the engine and hit the top of the piston dislodging and carbon.
    Under compression it will turn to steam and clean the valves.

I have done it before and it works well but pouring seafoam in like this works a lot better.

I do not think it would hurt the skis at all.

I to it every other oil change in all my cars, you can really tell a differance in the Dodge as they are bad about building carbon.

Thread Information